Catching clownfish in a reef tank

I'd like to catch a couple of clownfish in my reef tank without tearing the tank apart. Can anybody offer any advice?

ijo
    I used the net with food trick... but my tomato clown didn't go for that one... it took over a week to get him to go in the trap harley built for me. I've read if you throw a mirror at the back of the trap you'll catch the clownfish faster. Let me know if you would like to borrow it.

Ivan

rj
    Banned
    just describe the massive fish orgy downstairs at yer place and he'll hop right in the bag!

ijo
    :lol: :lol: never thought of that one

Thats what I want to do - the percs in the reef tank have start to spawn regularly, and the percs in the breeding system are not

Richardb42:

I recently caught the Tomato clown menace in my tank after trying on and off for more than a year. I tried fish traps (borrowed the one from MS a few different times), the "food in the net", even a tiny barbless fishhook on a line, and none of them worked.

What finally worked, was my BTA split, and I ended up putting one of the clones (which was on a small rock) inside a standard juice pitcher (inside the tank). I left it like that for a couple of weeks, and eventually the Tomato would go back and forth between the two BTA's. One morning I came in and he was inside the BTA which was inside the pitcher and I just put the net over the top of the pitcher, took the whole thing out, removed the BTA from the pitcher and put it back in the tank, leaving the Tomato all alone, trapped in the pitcher.

ijo
    barbless fishhook on a line
    haha I thought of that one but never actually did it. Maybe your presentation wasn't good enough bristleworm... jig...jig....jig.... back.... repeat until you feel a bite and then set the hook with a quick jerk.

IJO