Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

More Rd Bug Info

I've been studying more lately on this parasite. heres a link and some good read. theres also a ton of threads on RC.
    warning! its a very very smart idea to dip ALL newly aquired acro frags/corals or for that matter all SPS should be dipped an quarantined and examined with a magnifying glass. I'm still noy 100% sure If I have mites as the specks I see moving on a few frags are extremely small and possible to small for mites from what I've seen. I've lost some acro frags as of late[5 weeks] but could be to other stressers.I will be setting up a complete quaratine system for the big tank and all corals and fish will be quaratined. I was of old school thinking before and just added corals and fish. I've been very lucky with good husbandry but the risk is way to high! hope some of you will do the same. who said this hobby was easy eh!

GOOD POINT JOHNNY ... but I must point out that "old school thinking" never involved just putting things in your tank??? The earliest book I have was printed in 1973 and it has a complete section on setting up a QT tank and all but demands that every responsible hobbyist use one. IMO not having a QT is being lazy and or impatient. IMO It is truly fool hardy to just drop a 40 to 60 dollar addition into any tank that has perhaps 1000s worth of stock in it. For a tank your size johnny ... when fully stocked... likely 10s of 1000s
    Rob

Rob you got my vote. And you hit the nail on the head with me when you said lazy. It sure has cost me more to fix the situation then if I would just have had a QT tank in the beggining. Right now I'm going to be doing my 3rd treatment of Interceptor, for red bug tommorow. Corals have improved 100%, what a difference.

I think when it comes to setting up a QT tank and using it religiously ... We all seem to learn the hard way that it is likely the most important think to do.
    Rob

Hey Johnny, where's the link? I'd like to take a look.
    Keep passing the open windows!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I'm a big advocate of using a Quarantine tank.

I've been using a QT tank this whole time for new arrivals. It also helps to isolate the new, scared, finicky eaters in a place of their own where you can show them what's on the menu. Case in point; My copperband didn't eat for a week while in the QT. I'm sure that if he had been in the main tank with the other guys, they would have harassed him and he would have perished.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I can understand how some of us find setting up a QT as pretty difficult ... space, expense, the added maintainence on the already packed schedule of duties ... but there is no denying it's importance.

One option (and I'm asking the more experienced folk opinion here) is planning your new purchases. I have a 10 gallon that I setup a few days before a planned purchase. I do a water change on the main setup, use that water to fill the 10 gallon, run a small 201 PH and an old Aquaclear with a fresh bag of carbon and a NO 12" 50/50 bulb. When my new stock comes home they spend 7 days in the QT and recieve several small water changes (again using water from the main setup). When their good to go in the main displace the 10 gallan gets broken down and sent back to the basement in storage.

I know it alot of work but again IT'S IMPORTANT and it only temporarily turns my room into a pet shop and the cost is minimal as OSD mentioned.

Is this method OK or have I been taking more chances?

Cool SALTY

most of the time a QT tank was a norm for fish but not as popular for corals. I've been to many stores [good ones] were QT'ing corals was an unheard of practise. it seems mostly in the last 2 to 3 years were flat worms and now red bugs have turned up big time. I'm far from lazy and have 2 extra tanks but have never worried about QT'ing corals as it stresses corals to move them from one set of conditions to another.BUT,,, I have no recourse but to either LUGOL or SEACHEM dip all new new comers.I've also never ever heard of people QT'ing LPS or mushrooms or even liverock for that matter. Is that next!!?? just might be and that would really suck.

GGGG Johnny .. I am not suggesting that you are lazy or that you are doing anything unusual. Your experience is beyond reproach and I am sure that many will agree with that. I am just saying for the "general population" that QT is the way to go for all new additions. Yes I do think that QT for EVERYTHING is not far away. I can only guess as to what will be the next threat. I would HATE to see the day that there is a post that you or anyone has lost a full tank of stock for the sake of not QT ing a new item.
    Rob

Quarantining new rock is not new. That is what curing is basically. You do it remotely rather than in your tank and then you can remove it to the tank later on when everything is good. For what it's worth, when you do this, it's often the time when you'll notice things such as Mantis shrimps or crabs if you're attentive. Although.., it's never 100% sure because these guys can sometimes hide for months before seeing them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast