Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: red flame angel

red flame angel

I was thinking of adding a flame angel to my reef tank is this type of angel safe wanted to add something with some red colour to my tank any suggestions

I'm pretty sure it's a "try at your own risk" in terms of reef safeness.
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

ijo
    They say there is a 50/50 chance of a flame being ok in a reef tank... I've had 4 of them in a reef and one turned out to be a nipper.

Angels in the Genicanthus family are known to be reefsafe.... the belus and male watanabe are my fav. Hope this helps.

IJO

Flame angels are great fish but I agree with IJO - 50/50 chance on whether or not they will nip corals. Depending on what other fish you have they can be aggressive too. If you keep them well fed they are better behaved.

Another option might be a fairy wrasse or flasher wrasse. There are some really nice red coloured ones that are pretty much guaranteed reef safe.
    Susan

You can also put a FlameHawk.

Flame Hawks are awesome fish, but say goodbye to your snails, hermit crabs, and shrimp!
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

My Flame Hawk has not killed my shrimp ... yet .. been it there with them for about 9 months now. I would Knock on wood but I already have a headache :-)
    Rob

ijo
    hehe OSD!!

I have heard if you add the flame after the shrimp your chances are better that he willl not tough them... also if the shrimp are large they should be ok.

I've had a flamehawk with many different types of shrimp, hermits and snails with no issues... I even managed to get a couple sexy shrimp to go in there. it might have something to do with the fact that he was better fed than I was

IJO

Yes I do keep the little bugger well fed. That's the trick I think Ivan
    Rob

Flame angels are no problem but they do tend to be a shy fish. It takes them a little while before they swim freely. My friend just added his and it spends most of its time hiddden behind the corals and it is the only fish in there.

It is fun to be decorating a tank but I suggest that you chose your fish with function in mind as this will help balance your mini eco system. See what chore needs to be done (gravel sifting, algae grooming, rock cleaning) and then chose in that group.
    PERMISSION : Somthing you need if you want to do it again, not required if you only want to do it once...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast