Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What to do with Prickles?

Ok, here's the situation. The first actual lifeform I purposely added to my first fish tank, my 120g reef, was a small brittle star who I named Prickles. Prickles was fed very well and over the years grew to be a big brittle star who is probably close to two feet across, tip to tip, now.

Last October in the power outage that followed the hurricane I lost most of my fish. Prickles helped clean up the bodies and became a fish eater thereafter. I'm 99% sure he ate a full grown midas blenny and the night I caught him he was going after my bicolor angel. He's been in my empty 20g quarantine/hospital/holding ever since.

So now I have the new 300g set up and I'm going to need to use the quarantine tank again and Prickles has to go. I can't give him away as he's a bonafide fish eater. I just don't have the heart to destroy him for something that is perfectly natural for a brittle star to do. I could put him in my sump but I really don't want to have to bring him food in the basement every day.

I've been thinking of putting him in my refugium. It's LOADED with bristleworms, pods, live mysis, etc. I feed the refugium very well also. How much damage do you think he could do in there? I'm sure he'd eat any pods and mysis he could catch but do you think he'd wipe out the population?
    Susan

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Wow... that's a good question.
    I think that he's become too big to be safe. I think that he will put a serious dent into your fuge's population. And the last thing I'd want to hear about is how he just ate your new fully grown Conspicuous Angel...

That all said, I think that the safest place, for everyone, is in your sump.

Unless, you could section off an area of the refugium with eggcrate. This will leave him secluded to a specific area of your fuge. Whatever wondors into his "domain" becomes fair game. However he wouldn't be able to get to anyhing beyond the eggcrate partition. What do you think?
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Refugium is too small to partition. I think you're right, he's going to have to go to the sump, or maybe the refugium that I have down there before the sump that doesn't have anything in it but rock. It's turbulent as heck but it would be easier to have him there than in my sump with the equipment.

It'll be a bother to have to go down and feed him but I suppose that's a responsibility I took when I bought him.

Hmmmm, I suppose I could consider setting up a little Eclipse on my desk just for him ...
    Susan

I don't think he should go into the sump Susan. Can you not find a school or pubic aquarium that will take him off your hands? That would likely be best.
    Rob

Na, options like that are pretty limited around here. He really needs to go somewhere without fish.
    Susan

How much of a Badboy is he really? How big is he? You don't want to put him in the new tank with the Bigboys? Wouldn't the Bigboys handle him with no porblem?

do you know anyone running a tank without any fish? (corals only)? that would probably be best for him. Perhaps a LFS would put him in the coral tank.
    Albert
    My Photos

He might do ok in the big tank eventually but I'm hoping to get most of the bigboys as small juvies and watch them grow up.

Maybe I'll ask at the LFS. They do have a tank that they keep their own big boys in. Maybe he could live there.
    Susan

I like to slice them up and put them on burgers....ohhh Prickles, never mind.
    Keep passing the open windows!

LOL
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast