Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Orange Anthias (Lyretail): Pseudanthias squamipinnis

http://petsolutions.com/product.asp?pn=106600L
    How about the Lyretail Anthis for my tank? One Male / Six Females? Will they do well? can I just get 7 females and one will become male?
    Opinions?

Male

Female
    Albert
    My Photos

or the Ignitus? or dispar (this one i think flame said is hard to keep - why is that? feeding?) tuka?
    I think i decided on going for a group of Anthias, but its so hard to pick which one - i like the more richly colored ones.
    Albert
    My Photos

The squamipinnis are very hearty anthias. If you get a bunch of females one will turn into a male, but I find that a female that turns in the tank never looks quite as good as a male from the wild.
    The dispar, and ignitus are less hearty and don't take to prepared food as well as the squamipinnis. After a short while the squamis will be eating flake- the other two won't do as well- maybe if you feed them 3 times a day with lots of variety they would do o.k. You have to be prepared to feed the dispar and ignitus a LOT. The squamis are much less picky and less shy.
    The tuka is an absolute no go- I've never heard of them surviving in captivity.
    The Bartlett's anthias are hearty as are the Bicolor and Rubrizonatus.
    you should get Scott Micheal's Reef Fishes Vol. 1. It goes into great depth on Anthias
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Thanks Reffmutt!!!
    thats exactly what i was looking for - seems like i will be happy with the squamipinns.
    Petsolutions.com (link above) seems to recommend first adding the females - then the male later. Is this really needed? and why?
    Seems like i gotta get scott michaels book "Reef FIshes" i have his book on "Marine Fishes" but it does not go into depth as the "Reef Fishes" might. I also use the "Marine Atlas" (3 volumes) by Baensch.
    Albert
    My Photos

Wetwebmedia has some good info on Anthias as well:
    http://www.wetwebmedia.com/anthiina.htm
    Susan

They arrived yesterday, and they are GORGEOUS!! much nicer than the pictures posted above.
    They all seemed to cuddle together in one little cave since i got them. I think i now found out the reason why - my six-line wrasse! everytime any of them come out to see whats going on, he chases them right back into the cave. but there are 7 of them and one of him, and he is probably half the size of an anthia. can he actually do them any harm? will they eventually stand up to him? will he eventually realize they are here to stay and leave them alone?
    I just tried feeding them (i'm sure they must be hungry after their long trip). The second i poured the food it (soaked in Selcon for added nutrition) they all came out (but i only say 5 females and the male, looks like i lost a female overnight, but i cant imagine. then again, why would all come out but one? do they leave someone behind to watch the cave?) They seemed to love the smell of the food, but anything they tasted they just spit back what. what do these guys like (not live)? i tried Frozen Brine Shrimp Plus (Ocean Nutrition) and Frozen Krill (Hikari) and Frozen Ocean Plankton (Hikari) as well as some Prime Reef flakes. Any suggestions? will they eventually get hungry enough to eat anything?
    Albert
    My Photos

I found this little tidbit but don't know if it would help.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/...s_pulcher.html

I had been delivering the microworms to the two prior broods with a pipette. However, now that there were about twenty-five fry that were getting very curious and gutsy, this was not necessary. Instead I scooped up a small, grape-sized portion of microworms onto a toothbrush, and swished them free in the aquarium. This size portion would keep the fry occupied all day long. As I mentioned before, these fish feed on plankton in Lake Tanganyika, and this became even more evident, whenever I fed the young microworms. The young would find a strong current to swim against and let the drifting worms come to them. This feeding behavior is oddly reminiscent of the feeding behavior exhibited by the saltwater anthias species. Another interesting comparison between these two groups of fish is that both have lyre-tailed caudal fins and both flock in very large schools. Evolutionary biologists call this phenomenon, whereby two geographically isolated species develop similar characteristics, convergent evolution.

cool. they do at times look like they are waiting for the food to just flow into their mouths. but even what they ate, they spit back out.
    anyone who has anthias (flame?) would be able to give me an idea of what their feeding behavior is like in captivity.
    Albert
    My Photos

Cool ALRHA

give it time. They could go weeks without eating.

Really?? what a relief! i was always of the impression that these guys like to eat at least 3 times a day!
    Albert
    My Photos

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast