Thread: Uv Protection

Uv Protection

I CURIOUS ABOUT READING THAT MH LAMPS GIVE OFF DANGEROUS AMONT OF UV THAT COULD AFFECT OUR OWN HEALTH AND THE LIVESTOCK IN THE AQUARIUM MOST MH BULBS SAY THEY HAVE A PROTECTION ON THE GLASS BUT HAVE READ IT IS STILL NOT ENOUGH SOME PEOPLE BUT GLASS OR LEXON ON TOP OF THERE TANKS i PUT IT ON MY TANK FOR A COUPLE OF MONTHS BUT FOUND NO DIFFERENCE LIKE TO HEAR WHAT PEOPLE KNOW OF THIS

If the bulb is not UV protected from the factory by the way it is made it will say on the packaging that the bulb MUST BE BURNED IN A CLOSED FIXTURE. Al these bulbs will go out if the outer jacket is damaged.. It is required to meet the electrical code.
    Rob

DE bulbs usually need a UV shield while the SE bulbs don't. The outer glass of the SE bulbs are the UV shield. From when I saw your bulb..., your fine without a shield.

There is no question however, that all MH bulbs- DE or SE as well as VHO bulbs produce u.v. They all do, VHO dramatically less than MH, though. One certainly doesn't want to be hanging around your lit MH bulbs all the time. When you look at a tank there is virtually no u.v. getting to you through the tank glass and water, but if you want to get a tan, you certainly could if you open the lid and let the bulbs shine on you for a while.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Some single ended bulbs come with a quartz shield and they are meant to be external lighting only like statiums etc., and need UV shield if you decide to use them on your tanks.

DE bulbs all have quartz envelope hence need the need for a UV shield.

HTH

Venki