Thread: Power outage!!

Power outage!!

How's everyone doing with their tanks. My power was out for 6 hours, last night, cut out again this morning for two hours. Last night i was wisking the water with a kitchen wisk, every 5 minutes, and had to boil water on the BBQ twice to keep the temperature up in the tank. Was prepared to try and keep it up all night, but power came on. Thank God. Didn't loose anything, my xenia, was the worse, but it too came back. Definitely have to look into a backup system. Had one of those battery operated air pumps but no batteries, when i finally got batteries the thing didn't work. All in all, pretty exciting stuff. What was i thinking of running, this kind of hobby without an emergency backup plan. Hopefully the worse is over.

CAT
    Glad you didn't go without power too long... your arms would've gotten tired with that whisking and all...
    Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.

photo gallery: http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/showgallery.php?ppuser=424

cat

you should see me now with mareigue (the stuff of lemon pie) a few more outages but only for a couple of hours at a time. I'm looking into a generator i think, or a ups. With the talk of hydro deregulation and more and more hydro demand, i think we can expect more of this. First the ice storm and this blackout. I've got too much invested in this to see it all die because I didn't spend $ on a backup system.
    On another note
    Cat do you still have your tank running. Brisleworm said you had some amazing zoo polyps. Any chance u still have some to frag? Thanks, Gerry.

ijo
    I hope no one else took a hit like Jakes setup ... I was fortunate enough to be living in Hull where the power was fine. If anyone needs help with anything... let me know.

IJO

CAT
    Hi Gerry. Yep, my tank is fine, I had a couple of battery operated air pumps (Hagen) going. My pH is a little low (probably from the caulerpa in the fuge pumping out CO2 while the lights were out) but everything else is doing well.

These air pumps might work for you too. Someone on another board said that theirs ran for 25 hours on just 2 'D' batteries. I know my batteries didn't give out on me, though I changed to new ones for the overnight hours, just in case.

I still have another rock with zoos on it that I can spare (always looking for more space). Let me know if you can find a way to get them to Ottawa.

Ivan, glad you were ok. I wonder how the lfs in Toronto made out? I wanted to pick up a couple more Chromis...
    Don't take life too seriously; no one gets out alive.

photo gallery: http://aquariacanada.com/PhotoPost/showgallery.php?ppuser=424

ijo
    I really hope the Oakville Reef Gallery made it ok.... they always seem to have a ton of nice corals in stock. Would hate tho think their all gone...

IJO

Yeah, that would suck. Hopefully Oakville's OK.

Marinescape had a generator to keep the shop going during the exitement.. They are doing fine thankfully! Busy today there too!

A lot of people offered to help them, which is very cool.

I was in Hull Thursday night getting gas & a power inverter..
    Fishysan ><>
    ---
    180g display main floor, 150g trough, 75g, 20g in basement
    SPS, LPS, softies, many clams & 14 fish
    main: 250w AB DE HQI x 3, 5' x 3 VHO actinic - trough: 400w venki