Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Check your hose clamps!

Yesterday I heard a strange noise from my tank. I looked over and the water level was low. This shouldn't be possible. I flew down the stairs to my basement sump room to discover that one of the tubes from my return pump was off. My pump was shooting water right to the ceiling.

It took some work to get everything clean and dry and running again. When all was said and done I went looking for a cause. I couldn't find one. The hose clamp was unbroken. Today I checked all my other hose clamps. I use the plastic clip kind that kind of click when you squeeze them together. I tighten them with a pair of plyers. Many of them had mysteriously loosened and needed an extra squeeze. I don't know if this could be related to changes in the weather or humidy perhaps. The last few nights have been nice and cool.

The return pump tubes now have 3 hose clamps each. Don't let this happen to you - check your hose clamps now and then and make sure they are still tight!
    Susan

As far as I now, plastic likes to stretch, but metal likes to rust? What can we do? :-( But you do bring up a very good point, I think I'll add checking my hose clamps onto my maintnance check list.
    Adam

It happened to me once on the Remora skimmer when I was cleaning the tank. So only some water on the floor and not much damage. After that I squeezed it real tight.

That is not uncommon Susan. It's the same as when you do work on your car that involves hose clamps. After the engine has been brought up to full temp and then cooled off again they warn you to recheck and re tighten them. Bummer about the water loss and mess. DAM IT WAS A GOOD THING YOU WERE HOME GIRL.
    Rob

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    That's just another reason why I don't like vinyl tubing. My piping is all screwed in.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I only use stainless steal hose clamps, out side of my tank that is. You can tighten them real tight with a screw driver.
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

That's the first thing I thought when I got it all cleaned up. Good thing I was home! Otherwise the pump would have drained the sump dry. I get 180 gallons of natural seawater delivered at a time so I pretty much always have extra water around but if I didn't that could have been a major problem too. Yeesh.

I'll be getting in the habit of checking these clamps at least once a month from now on.
    Susan

Why not put it behind you Susan by using the stainless steal ones. Tighten them up real good and then fold the tag end back at 90 degrees to the clamp. Still removable by will never come loose.
    Rob

I think I will OSD. I used them on the Ehim canister and they're very snug.
    Susan

there you go ... now you can sleep at night and not feel the need to go running every time you hear water flowing.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast