Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: backup system

ijo

backup system

If anyone is interested in purchasing a backup system... let me know... I'll look into pricing and get back to you all. The first order for these will be going at cost+shipping. I figure its the least I can do to help those who have been set back. Its so sad to hear all these loses due to power outages :bawling:

IJO

I sure would be interested in knowing what's available. Thanks, IJO.
    Also any chance i could pick up that flame, arould 10:30/11 am tomorrow? I'll bring the hammertone along.
    Gerry.

One thing I was thinking of, is one of those Power Inverter things from Canadian Tire that you always see the ads on TV for. I would seem that you can plug just about anything into it. Anybody use one of these? How long would it run a power head for?

I'm pretty sure my stuff died from lack of water circulation.

You lost stuff too bristle?

Too bad, I had a power inverter.. they are excellent.

Between the inverter from CrappyTire and a neighbour with a generator, my tank was not without any circulation. All's well, no losses.

175w inverter is 40$, I bought a 400w one for 60$.

The 175w one runs like 6 MaxiJet 1200 easy. You can run it on the car for over an hour, then start the car while using it for 20mins to recharge the battery, etc. Essentially, if the car's running, you could have a 1750w inverter!

The best CHEAP security you can have.. We'll be getting a generator probably though, but in the mean time.
    Fishysan ><>
    ---
    180g display main floor, 150g trough, 75g, 20g in basement
    SPS, LPS, softies, many clams & 14 fish
    main: 250w AB DE HQI x 3, 5' x 3 VHO actinic - trough: 400w venki

"The 175w one runs like 6 MaxiJet 1200 easy. You can run it on the car for over an hour, then start the car while using it for 20mins to recharge the battery, etc. Essentially, if the car's running, you could have a 1750w inverter!"

So how long would a 400W inverter run a 1200?

I also understand that Hagen makes a cheapy little battery operated air pump. Anyone have one of these?

I got off pretty lucky (I lost 2 cleaner shrimp, a Royal Gramma and a Bangaii Cardinal), but I'd like to take a couple of inexpensive precautions for the future.

I looked into several options for backup power recently .. I currently have some airpumps on a UPS that can easily last 4 hours...

There was an interesting article on FAMA a few months ago on inverters/batteries/chargers. You can buy everything you need at Canadian Tire for about 250$ - deep cycle battery, trickle charger, and inverter. Don't bother with the battery packs that come under some name brand (don't remember the name). The inverter (300 to 400w) and the trickle charger from that line should do fine. Whats important in the battery - you need a deep cycle type.

However, if you want to charge (it needs a deep cycle charger) or trickle charge it (to keep it primed up) you'll need to do that in a vented area that doesn't freeze, since a charging battery gives off hydrogen... (boom?!)

I found a solar energy place in Ottawa that can get a more expensive type of battery (AGM - Advanced Glass Mat) that doesn't spew hydrogen, but it costs 300$, as well as weighing 90lbs. Worth it though.

I finally bought a 5Kw generrator, which feeds the rest of the house. You can get a smaller Honda generator that costs less and puts out around 400W...

I picked up the generator last week, and was expecting to use it on Thursady, but, alas, Quebec still had juice...

Cool richard, I'll be doing something similar (generator) probably. The trickle charger for the battery idea is a good cheap way to make your own UPS type thing.

What's good about the UPS, which I will do, is connect a few powerheads through one of those, so if the power goes out while you aren't home, the UPS takes over for a while (till you get home, & fire up the generator! )

There are a number of solutions, for 5000$ () installed, you can get a generator system that runs off natural gas and powers your whole house automatically when the power goes off. So essentially you can take yourself off the powergrid!

Todd - the inverter doesn't "last", it just runs off your car (lighter, or battery terminals). So, it will last for however long your car battery lasts. BUT you can of course have your car running at idle to power it, and, well, that will last as long as you like! The 175w one would probably run for 2hrs before your battery got low (then it beeps) and you would have to turn your car back on.

I bought the 400w just to have a bit bigger, if I needed more equipment (like a 300w heater & a powerhead) etc. At worst, I would need to run my car more. You can get biggger inverters, but I want to spend the $$ on a generator instead.
    Fishysan ><>
    ---
    180g display main floor, 150g trough, 75g, 20g in basement
    SPS, LPS, softies, many clams & 14 fish
    main: 250w AB DE HQI x 3, 5' x 3 VHO actinic - trough: 400w venki

rj
    Banned
    I just picked up a 175W inverter...did I hear Sean right that it will run 6 1200's for an hour or so?...for my 46 I could go for a few more hours than that with 2 1200's I assume....am I right in thinking that?...now I just have to figure how I'm going to run the wires down to my car...I'm on the second floor of an apt....I didn't lose anything except for a small patch of anthelia that hasnt opened all the way up yet...I just want to be prepared...who knows?..they say we're not out of the woods yet!

Good info here.

OK, so the inverter is out for me, since the tank is on the fifth floor of an office building. I can also rule out a generator. Other optionsfor me? It's only a 55, what about a couple of those Hagen battery operated pumps?

rj
    Banned
    CAT said they worked for her without problem....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast