cold water reef (atlantic)?

just wondering , ive never seen , or heard of a cold water reef , if anyones jumped in the ocean in nova scotia theyll know what i mean , if you kept the water freezing , would there be condensation(water dripping)from the exterior of the tank ? what do you use to keep the water cold? i snorkeled in nova scotia and seen tons of cool creatures,starfish etc.....
    i was concidering starting up one , and would a cooler of critters survive a 24 hour drive? if i went hand picking in the ocean? i'll be going there soon .
    What do you call a fish with no eyes?
    Fsh!

You would need a chiller that can pull the water temp down 15-20 deg for the volume probably. You can do it, might be expensive for some equipment, but you won't need the same heavy duty lighting, etc.

Check out the museum of nature, they have a cold water "reef" tank.

If you keep the critters in coolers with ice to maintain temp & air to give them O2, no reason they shouldn't survive..
    Fishysan ><>
    ---
    180g display main floor, 150g trough, 75g, 20g in basement
    SPS, LPS, softies, many clams & 14 fish
    main: 250w AB DE HQI x 3, 5' x 3 VHO actinic - trough: 400w venki

For those interested in cold water reefs, you should visit the Ottawa Natural History Muesum on Mcleod St. There's a nice cold water tank there with tons of anemones and other cold water inverts as well as fish. They recently restocked it a few weeks ago and its way cool...

hehe that's what I said richard - it's the Museum of Nature.

Was there last week, it's neat.
    Fishysan ><>
    ---
    180g display main floor, 150g trough, 75g, 20g in basement
    SPS, LPS, softies, many clams & 14 fish
    main: 250w AB DE HQI x 3, 5' x 3 VHO actinic - trough: 400w venki

Yeah, sorry, I didn't take the time to actually read your post (kids yelling at me as I catch up on the boards, I guess )

Its a pretty cool tank though. I think they have an insulated double-pane front glass to cut out the condensation. The chiller electrical costs would cost a mint though.

It might be possible to adapt a small beer fridge to have an opening on the side with a tank - Hmmm....

It might be possible to adapt a small beer fridge to have an opening on the side with a tank - Hmmm....
    Or on the door... it would be a really neat/original looking beer fridge to say the least!!!

I've read in the past about a few people having these type reefs, except they were usually on the smaller side. I guess this cuts down on the costs of cooling it. Coldwater reefs have some of the nicest colors to them.