Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hi folks I am new to reef tanks and i am looking to purchase this tank, can you give me any tips. Is the tank worth it? Any info would be helpful.

Hi folks I am new to reef tanks and i am looking to purchase this tank, can you give me any tips. Is the tank worth it? Any info would be helpful.
    sorry here is the link

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/awatters/aquarium.htm

you might want to post this in a new thread, eggmann, so as not to disturb this one.

by the way - WELCOME to Aquaria Canada! i hope we'll be able to help you out here.
    Albert
    My Photos

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Hi eggman,

I took the liberty of making a new thread for your question. I'm sure many more people will see it under it's own heading.

Oh, and by the way,

[welcome2]
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Well if I were in the area I'd consider buying it. I wouldn't use the fludizing bed or the porous ceramic rings, but the rest IMHO would be a decient and realitively inexpensive start.

Assuming it's all in good working condition.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Hi folks,

Thanks for the responses i just have one question to Krugar, about why you would not use, the fluidizing bed or the porous ceramic rings; I am not sure what they do could you shed some light if you can please?
    The person is selling the tank because he is moving to New Zeeland and it seems to be like a fire sale at his place everything must go, he has much more stuff than just the aquarium for sale.

I looked into fluidizing beds for my fresh water tank & well the jury's out on if they actually do anything.

The theory is that the small particles are a host for bacteria which will change amonia -> nitrite -> nitrate. They're supposed to be better at this than a canister filter is and there in lies the problem.

Canister filters (using the porous cermic rings or bio balls) are too good at this & the nitrates build up faster than your tank can elimate / export them.

So by extension, the fluidizing bed should be as bad if not worse than a canister filter would be.

On top of that they are reputed as being a pain in the arse to keep fluidized. If your pressure drops the sand settles, if it increases the sand gets dumped into your tank.

Anyway the porous ceramic rings are meant to be used as a bio media, usually in canister filters. The fact that they're still bagged & fresh looking should tell you something, since you never really have to change these rings.

The live rock in your tank + the sand bed is the filter & the rest of this stuff gets in the way.

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm off base

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

Fluidized bed filters are among the best system setup options one can use. They are the PERFECT under gravel filter just a lot more compact. The aquarium at Disney uses them and they are the size of rail cars on end. The only drawback is nitrate management due to their efficiency.
    Rob

I saw the Live rock that came out of that setup, it was nice before Hurricane Juan did a job on it. The lighting has been downgraded from an Icecap 660 running 4 VHOs to NOs. Depending on what you want to keep, you could leave it with the NOs or upgrade to VHO or MH easily (go for the MH!). Welcome to the site! I see you are in the HRM, drop me a PM and we'll get you added to the local reef keepers group mailing list.

Regards,

Jon
    aka xerces

Not a bad deal, but at the bottom looking at those nalgene jugs
    Wow who would pay 130$ US for a 5 gallon jug, lol
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer