Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

my PH is at 10! help!

I posted earlier on thinking my PH meter was wrong. I just received my ph III meter, and after installing and calibrating it, it read 9.9 to 10! I posted this and One Salty Dog mentioned that my PH could actually be that high. I decided to test the water, since i would have to wait till tomorrow to purchase more calibration solution.

well the results of the high range PH test from hagen were off the charts! the colour should be from green to blue, and mine was purple! and the PH III meter is still at 10!

what can i do??? i'll try and post everything i can about my tank. It's been up for 1.5 months. cycled after 1.5 weeks. i have 20 astreas, 10 ceriths, 5 nassarius, 10 scarlet hermits, 1 fighting conch, and tons of pods.

the tank is a 65g with a 20g sump/refuge. i'm using ro/di water since the start. the refuge has some sand/lr rubble and a wad of cheato on reverse lighting period. I had the cheato in there since the beginning, and i've never pruned it, simply because i don't know how. it's a ball, so do i just cut it? won't there be strands everywhere?

anyway, i have 2 mj1200's, 1 knock off needlewheel skimmer and a mag9.5 for a return. I also have 75lbs of LR, and 150lbs of southdown that makes a nice 4" dsb. lighting is 2x250w radiums on for 8hours a day.

the only chemicals i've added were salifert flatworm exit about 4 days ago, and i'm going to have to dose again. i bought some esv b-ionic in hopes of starting to dose calc, hence the ph meter. i also just measured the KH in dKH and it's 8.8.

what's going on here? i was planning on adding my first first in the next week or so, and i believe i've taken most precautions with my tank...i've spent thousands... :bawling: help please

to prune the chaeto, just pull some out by hand.
    i cant imagine how the pH is so high, perhaps a large water change would help. another way would be to add some vinegar, but i dont know how safe that would be on a live reef.
    Albert
    My Photos

thanks for your reply ALRHA. I didn't think PH could get that high, especially since my cleanup crew is still alive. I'm hoping that the PH III meter is malfuntioning and I'm colour blind. I'll try to take a sample of my water to my LFS tomorrow and see what reading they get...

ineedhelp,

The Hagen test are really not good for SW ,Test your tap water for its PH, and with the ph probe to.
    get back to us with those tests.
    You mentioned you didnt put any chemicles but did you add any buffers?what type of salt are you using?

Water changes are a good way to rectify the problem but use a mix of acid buffer and slowly lower your Ph to the desired level.
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

thanks for your repy RobinL. I just tested my water again, as well as tap water and ro/di water.

PH meter : sw - 10, tap - 8.9, and ro/di - 9.9
    hagen ph : sw - blue?, tap - about 7.5, ro/di - under 7

i haven't added anything to my tank, besides salifert flatworm exit. I use Instant Ocean salt

Well thats conflicting readings,It seems that your hagen test are giving you the correct(good) reading...wow suprising! since your R/O is reading less than 7 and tap 7.5 which would be normal.
    You may have a calibration issue with the ph meter.
    Bring some water in to be tested at your LFS and try reseting and recalibrating your pen.I know that some pens sometimes have to soak in distilled water for 24hrs I dont know about the one you have but it must be written in the instructions.
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

I would go buy another test kit from another company....salifer if you can.Ive had problems with hagen test kits and i dont use them anymore.Do you have any fish in there?High ph is stessfull but i think to bring the ph down of 2 is even more stressfull to the tank's inhabitants.So bring it down slowly not to shock anyone in there.
    Derik...

Re: my PH is at 10! help!

[i]well the results of the high range PH test from hagen were off the charts! the colour should be from green to blue, and mine was purple! and the PH III meter is still at 10!

[/B]
    I had a hagen high PH test say the same thing, but my meter says 8.2 and it's the PH-III from here as well, I wouldn't worry about what the hagen test says right now. I found I also had to go outside and use real sunlight to get the hagen tests to work somewhat right.
    Adam

I would suggest if possible that you take your meter to a tank with a known PH value and compare the readings. What your getting from your test kits is inconclusive to say the least. At what part of the day are you testing? My tank has daily swings but dose not hit 10 !!! Unless addressed PH tends to fall rather then rise I am sure something is a muck with the tests and readings.
    Rob

thanks for all your replies!

i purchased some more calibration solution...how should i do this? any different than how i did it the first time??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast