flamehawk feeding

I've finally purchased a flamehawk (arrived on wed) and was just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get it to eat. He looks very healthy but still spends most of his time hiding behind rocks (fun to watch however, jumping around from rock to rock kinda like spiderman).

Maybe I just need to give him more time ? I've been feeding chopped up frozen shrimp and scallops.
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

I have a flame hawk too, and he spent the first 2 weeks darting in and out (mostly in) the rocks, and eating only food that came within a couple of inches of the rocks. Now he sees the food coming, and positions himself where he thinks the food will be with the current, and darts out and grabs whatever comes his way. He is much braver now and will travel quite far to get his food. He eats everything that I send his way. I was contemplating using a tukey baster to blow the food a little closer to the rocks. That might work for you until he overcomes his shyness. Good luck with this great fish!

Gary

Yeah, I agree with gary. They are a docile fish that needs to adjust. They never will really swim a lot as they aren't a swimming type of fish (they lack the swim bladder). With time though, they will become more brave and stay out more. They like meaty foods..., try Mysis shrimp as they often love this too.

I dumped some brine shrimp into the tank at lunch time and he gobled it up.. guess he's just a little shy for now.
    ======================
    sold the 77gallon back in 2005, looking to setup a nano

Hawks are good feeders. I have never had one that would not except food very soon after being put into the tank. Mine loves and eats anything. He's a little piggy to tell the truth.
    Rob