Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zooplankton

Zooplankton

I just got some Sweetwater Zooplankton and my anthias for the first time are eating it and not spitting it out. the stuff really looks great, but is pretty expensive, i feel like that small jar cant last so long (but then again, i have yet to finish a fish food container - flake or pellet - thus far. i guess they last longer than they look).

I also found Saltwater Zooplankton what is the difference between the two, and would the saltwater one be better for marine tanks?
    Albert
    My Photos

Interesting. I used the product for several months and my fish loved the product. But I read an article in a reef magazine that said the product lasted only one month once the container was opened. I did not beleive that. And I sweared I would continue using the product for months. But after using it for about two months, I got paranoid about the article and smelled the product each time before using it . I threw it away.

I had the same experience. It starts to smell after a month. You have to use it up pretty quickly. No problem for large tanks but they really should sell smaller jars for smaller tanks.
    Susan

Could you divide the jar up into smaller portions and then refrigerate them? Would that make them last?
    Adam

I don't think so, once the seal is broken when you open it the first time it starts to go. Perhaps if part was frozen?
    Susan

once its open, its open. it has an unlimited shelf life because is it vacume sealed. there are people who freeze it right away into thin sheets, and then break pieces off as needed.
    The Freshwater one will expire after about 2 weeks of being opened while the saltwater one will last a little longer than a month (i guess the salt acts a bit as a preservative). Puluche seems to have lasted several months with it, and i have also heard that it really does not spoil in as short a time as people think (a month). i guess it depends on how you care for it.

Just to clarify, they are both called "Sweetwater" Zooplankton, b/c that is the name of the brand (made by Red-Sea). But one is canned in freshwater and one in saltwater.

Anyone know of the nutritional value in this? can it be relied upon as a staple? or just as a treat like cyclo-eeze? how much do you feed? i use the 5ml syringe from an old salifert test kit.
    Albert
    My Photos

maybe email red sea, see that they say, I've always had a quick response when I've emailed them.
    Adam

i did, i will let you know what they say.
    Albert
    My Photos

If this food is as good as they say, I may have to consider getting some.
    Adam

Lucky I have a food save Vaccum seals it

Cheers,
    Vic [veng68]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast