Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best anthias for a school?

I have an 8' 300g setup that will hopefully be ready for stocking by the end of this month. I've recently been considering a school of small anthias and would like suggestions on which type. I do have Scott Michael's Reef Fishes vol.1 book and have kind of narrowed it down but nothing beats getting advice from others who have "been there done that".

I also have a 7" male squarespot anthias that I'm planning to move from my reef to the new tank when the timing is right. Do you think he would cause any problems for a school of smaller anthias? I don't really want to just get him a harem because he can be a bit of a bully and I'm afraid it might make him more aggressive.

These are the fish I'm considering to go with the school ( list changes almost daily)

2 Golden Butterflyfish
    Racoon Butterflyfish
    Longnose Butterflyfish
    Moorish Idol
    Flame Angel
    Imperator Angel
    Achilles Tang
    Squarespot Anthias

What-a-ya think?
    Susan

I've got 6 Bartletts and they seem to be getting along well. I was worried I didn't have enough for a proper school, but no problem. They don't get too big either.

I know they are not Anthias but have you considered a school of Yellow Wrasses?

Do yellow wrasses school? That would be pretty nice. I have heard you can keep them in groups now that I think about it.

Do you think a large squarespot would bother a school of bartletts? Anyone ever try anything like this?
    Susan

I haven't seen the yellow wrasses school first hand. It was a suggestion from Steve, he may be able to give you more info. It would be an interesting school to watch. Just think what it would look like, 5-6 yellow wrasses hitting the sand at bed time all at once.

Hehehe, that would be pretty cool Only reason I may not do that is because butterflyfish are almost all yellow too.
    Susan

Susan, I think you already answered your own question about the squarespot- if he is a bully to his own females, I don't think he will tolerate others at all. Squarespots are known to be on the agressive side. I think you have to make a choice between your squarespot or other anthias...
    What about a school of some fairy wrasse- the fairy wrasses do school like anthias- one male to a bunch of females and most of them are way nicer than anthias-imo. They can be a bit jumpy and again I think your swquarespot will chase them- I think he'll chase anything free swimming and smaller than he is, but anyways fairies are awesome fish.
    The 8line wrasse from red sea is awesome- Paracheilinus Octotaenia, or the mccoskers flasher wrasse-P. Mccoskeri also super nice. The 8line gets to a decent size3.5 inches-which is a little larger than most of the flashers/fairies.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Squamipinnis

if you are worried about the squarespot fighting with the others, then why not leave him in the reef tank and just add a school to the FO tank?
    i love my lyretail anthias and have read that they are among the best schooling fish (i was reading around about them as i was deciding which anthias to get). I got a male and 6 females (i only see five of the females though, not sure if one didnt make the transition or there is always one hiding somewhere). The all seem to getting along very well and are quite friendly. the male does remind the females every now and then who's boss, but they simply bow their heads in respect and continue on their merry way.
    Albert
    My Photos

Reef Fishes

Originally posted by Flame*Angel
    I do have Scott Michael's Reef Fishes vol.1 book
    i just ordered this book as i have heard so much about it and it seems like its the book to have on fish (till now all i have in his pocket guide "Marine Fishes" and the "Marine Atlas" - 3 volumes by Baensch. Is there another volume to Reef Fishes? b/c i have only seen volume one (its an expensive book too).

sorry, dont mean to sidetrack the thread, just wanted to ask since you mentioned it.
    Albert
    My Photos

Yes, vol. 2 and 3 are out.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast