Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

plumbing modification

well I modified my plumbing on the weekend after a few setbacks it went pretty good the only problem is my water coming from the sump has a fine mist of air bubbles what ever I tried they are always there also my return has a gurgling sound that I have to put some filter media to make it stop does any one have any ideas

when you say your "return' do you mean from tank to sump? If so DO NOT PUT ANYTHING in that return line. You want that water line free flowing. Use a stockmen type stand pipe or fashion your own.
    Is your Skimmer in your sump? If so you need some baffles in the sump to remove the air bubbles.
    Rob

from my sump it goes directly into the aquarium from a 1 inch pipe that pipe I have a fine mist of air bubbles tried to close the valve but I still get those air bubbles

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    frank,
    As Salty dog mentioned, you don't ever want to restrict the line towards the sump with anything. This could clog over time, and you'll end up with a nice flood. That said, do you have a standpipe in your overflow to help "silence" the gurgling sound?

You can make it yourself easily. Here's some info:
    http://www.dursostandpipes.com/

I should also mention that as your pipes age over the course of the next 2-3 weeks, they will develop a slime buildup that actually silences the tank's plumbing.

Next, The fine mist of bubbles making it's way back to the tank may be one or a combination of things.

You may need some baffles in your sump to act as a bubble trap, or there is air making it's way into the pipes due to a bad joint somewhere.

Tell us more about your setup and what your sump looks like.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Is your pump in the submersed in the sump or in line out side of it? So NO Skimmer in the sump .. Right?
    Rob

I was also thinking the same thing Vince .. a bad joint somewhere that is sucking in air but may not as yet be leaking water the other way. Submersed pump may also be not far enough under water and grabbing air at the surface
    Rob

Also with the gurgling there could be air being sucked into the sump and causing a large amout of bubbles, which in turn are being sucked into the the return pump and being thrown into the display tank.
    Adam

The best way to verify if you are drawing air in by the suction of your circulation pump is to turn off the system and look for leaks. A fine mist of air usually means that a bad joint exists somewhere between the sump bulkhead and the suction side of the pump- this is the only area where a leak will present itself as air bubbles and not water spraying or dripping out. When the system is shut off, there is no longer any suction and the water begins to leak out.
    Btw, Salty, that anemonie in your avater is AWESOME is it in your tank?
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

No Reefmutt it is not in my tank anymore :-( I will not likely find one as large or as healthy again ether. I had it for about 6 months before the tank came down ... in the divorce I will upload a PIC of that tank and you may see where I was in the hobby nearly 13 years ago. Back when adjusting Cal levels was done with tablets.
    Rob

Yup, the STONE AGES!!! (of reef keeping...well maybe the middle ages) I'd be interested to see it.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast