Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fish selection...

After buying some corals, i am really thinking about having more fishes in my 33G. (20G Sump)

I presently have 2 ocellaris clownfish

Thinking about:

-3 or 1? black bar Chromis
    - Orange lined Cardhinalfish
    - Six line wrasse ( have it ordered)
    - Flame Angel

Hippy tang is a fish that i would really love to have...
    Have any of you tried it before?

Waitinf for your suggestions... what should i buy? Or can i have all theses fishes in?!
    Richard

Hobby Experience: Newbie
    600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

Unfortunately, a 33G tank is too small for tangs :-(

The others should be OK but not all of them. Flame Angels sometimes nip at corals. It seems to be about a 50/50 chance whether they nip or not. Some people think lots of feeding reduces the chances. Nipping might argue against the angel.

If you already have a 6-line on order, that would give you 2 clowns and a 6-line. I have a similar size tank (29G) and would think that one (or perhaps two at most) additional fish would work.
    Nick

do you mean hippo tang? If so, it is a fine upstsanding reef citizen- a great addition to any tank.
    I say do not get ANY chromis or damsels- they are ALL mean even the non mean chromis
    Otherwise, I think they all will go- just don't add them all at once.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

reefmutt, are you suggesting that a hippo tang would be OK in a 33G tank? Most sites recommend at least 70-80G or more preferably, 4' to 6' of linear swimming room. They are listed as growing to 12" in size.

I also haven't heard concerns about chromis being agressive. The three in my tank are fine.
    Nick

I must admit that I am somewhat dumbfounded by many peoples concerns about the fish they put in their tanks based on full grown adult size. If a fish should be healthy enough to actually live to full adult size in a captive situation it is Lucky. I do understand that we all want to keep all our fish alive for many many years. However the truth of the matter is that not too many ever reach full adult size. One thing or another happens and they don't make it. For those who do manage to keep their fish until they become too big for a their tank they .. the fish ... can often be given ... yes .. given to someone with a bigger tank or to shops with LARGE DISPLAY SETUPS. I think it is far more important to get a mix of fish that will get along together then to worry about them getting too big for the setup. that being said there are exceptions as there alway will be .. like putting in a fish that is already too big in size for the tank in question so common sense must prevail in any additions selection.
    Rob

The hyppo tang that i saw was 1,5 inch. Its still small enough for my tank. However the guys told me that it could be fine because he will get use to it and as Rob said, they dont even get to they real potentiel size in tanks. For the chromis, will it help if i put them in last?
    Richard

600G system, Sifligoi3x400w with ACLS units, 2xH&S A200-2x1260, Schuran Jetstream 2 Ca reactor, 4xVortech Pump, Tunze Stream 6200, Tunze Wavebox, 4xWavy Sea Plus wavemaker, Oceans Motions 4 way, Prolifux Wireless Controller, Red Sea 100mg Ozonizer, Seachem Pinnacle 200GPD RO/DI

IMO you should be able to enjoy your hippo for about a year and then consider a new bigger home for him and perhaps that bigger home will be in your home. I don't have any issues with my chromis but they are the blue/green type. As reefmutt pointed out you really should not add them all at once in any case.
    Rob

I always thought that putting a fish that grows to be large in a small tank would end up stunting it's growth. Kind of like putting a gold fish in a bowl, It will never become full grown living in a bowl. Just my opinon but, Not allowing a fish to grow to it's full potential does not seem very nice.

If you had someone to take your tang once he does out grow your tank then I would see nothing wrong with it.

They make various sizes of dog kennels to fit a certain sized dog. You wouldn't stuff a great dane in a chihuahua's dog kennel? So why would we place a fish that is going to become large in a small tank?

Sorry I'm not trying to be mean, those are just my thoughts. I just really think there are many more fish that would be more suited for your tank.
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

First of all......excellent post CableGuy!!

OSD,
    No offense, but putting the idea out there that people shouldn't worry about buying a fish that's going to be too large for their tank at full size because it probably won't get to grow to its full potential in their aquarium, is an absolutely horrific thought!!

Yes the sad fact is that most fish don't get to live a very full life in our tanks, let alone grow to their full potential, but you have to assume that they will. Buying a fish that you know will grow to be too large for your tank is incredibly irresponsible! The only way that it's even slightly acceptable is that if you yourself have a larger tank already set up to accomadate the fish when needed. Planning to give away a fish to someone or back to the LFS once it's too large is a very bad idea! Most of the time it doesn't work out and you will eventually end up with a dead fish on your hands.

I work at a LFS and have to constantly deal with people who have the same idea. Most of the time we don't like to take large fish back...free or not...because they're harder to sell, take up a lot of space, and eat a lot of food until they do eventually sell...IF they ever do. One of the hardest parts of my job is dealing with people that want to buy a fish that will grow to be far too large for their tanks. They're reasoning is always "oh I'll just sell/give/return it once it gets too big" or "oh I'm setting up a 120/180/whater soon so I'll just put it in there". I understand that a lot of these people have the best of intentions, but 99% of the time it just doesn't work out that way...

i2ik,
    It is imperative that you only buy fish that can live their entire lifespan in your tank. Unfortunately that means you'll have some limitations on what fish you want to keep. I would go for 4 fish in your size tank. The clowns with the six-line(one of my fav fish btw) and the Cardinal would be a great tank IMO!
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

Ok... i will go with the cardinalfish and see how it goes. thanks for all your comments. The flame angel is nice, but i want to be sure to have a reef safe. For sure i wont put them all at the same time
    Richard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast