Thread: tang selection

tang selection

ok here it goes imlooking t getting a tang..my options are yellow, kole or atlantic blue...the tank is a 77 gal. What do you think i like th eyellow for the color aspect but i hear they are more prone to disease..the chevron is brightly colored as a juv but loses its colr as an adult...so that leaves me with the kole, which is currently where im leaning right now just wondering about your opinions/experiences

Thanks
    Craig

Tank: 77gal reef, deltec AP600 skimmer, 440W VHO lighting.
    Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

I purchased a kole tang a couple of months ago. I tried everything and he would not eat . I did get him eating a little nori that I roled up and use to stick it to a rock.

He ending getting a mouth infecting and that was it.

I believe this a a common issue with these fish.

You should put a veggie clip ALL THE TIME and put romaine lettuce and nori i bet that the tang tries to eat off the rocks and gets hurt
    Derik...

I used a veggie clip with no luck. Tred various seaweeds aand even blancehed various greens. The issue I think was the supplier had just got in . Held it for 3 days and shipped. Fresh caught is not always the best option.

I would always ask how its eating prior purchasing anything any more

I know exactly how you feel.When you see a fish and you want it,its hard not to get it right away.Ive learned the hard way too has i got a deseased fish annd killed 3 other fishes.I you are looking for a garantied quarantine for 3 weeks,desease free,eating the right foods,theres only one guy that i know how does it,he wont sell you a fish if he hasnt had it for less then 3 weeks and not feeding or if hes not sure about his health.YOu pay a tad more but you are sure.....Birds eyes view in bathurst nb.....i went to all the stores in montreal and quebec and nobody does that....he does care about the money as much as everybody he just cares about the fish health.........
    Derik...

yeah i totally agree about claude at birds eye view thats where i do 95% of my shopping for that reason i know what im getting
    Craig

Livestock:Coral beauty, Tomato Clown, Yellow Tang, magenta dottyback, 3 stripe damsel, yellow tail damsel, coral banded shrimp

You might want to consider a Desjardini Tang...nice colour, reasonable temperament.
    35Gal mixed Reef with light fish load. 250W MH, Jebo Skimmer,

100Gal FOWLR- Heavy fish load and a few soft corals.

Desjardini Tang... sailfin. liveaquaria states it requires a min of 125 g.

yeah i have to stick to the smaller and less active ones because i realize the tank isnt big enough to house the bigger tangs i think i have to stick with chevron, yellow or kole
    Craig

Oops sorry, didn't notice the tank size...77gal is a little small.
    35Gal mixed Reef with light fish load. 250W MH, Jebo Skimmer,

100Gal FOWLR- Heavy fish load and a few soft corals.