Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy yellow tang munching

anyone everhave a yellow tang snack on corals? Mine has suddenly started eating the polyps off of my sun coral[tubastrea] I feed him well but know he is sampling things.
    I'm so ticked and I had to put the sun coral into my sump.
    I might try to reintroduce the coral at a later date or get rid[sell] the yellow.

A Yellow Tang munching on a Sun Coral, I've never heard of that before. John, are you sure?

ijo
    I gave him a few of my special cig's the last time he was here... hey John.. take a look outside and tell me if you see mars.

IJO

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Who'd you give those special cigs to? John or the yellow tang? Maybe that explains it....

Actually, I've heard of tangs nipping at leathers before... my lfs has a powder blue that decimates any leathers that appear in the tank.

in the meantime, we should ask the yellow tang if he sees mars.....
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

John my yellow tang nips at everything in the tank, including SPS, etc. as he swims around. I don't have my sun coral in there with him, so can't say yet.

There are so many things in there that he's not affecting anything, and really's just poking around. But, I guess on a smaller tank, he could make his rounds too quickly. He especially likes my small scroll coral, as a result the polyps don't come out tons during the day.

I also had to move my open brains into my sump because my desjardinii tang (I think) kept nipping at them and they wouldn't open anymore. No one bothers my fungia though.

If your tang's grazing on everything, he's probably more handy that way than a sun coral. At least that's what Rob kept telling me when my cleaner wrasse was killing all my big decorative tube worms..
    Fishysan ><>
    ---
    180g display main floor, 150g trough, 75g, 20g in basement
    SPS, LPS, softies, many clams & 14 fish
    main: 250w AB DE HQI x 3, 5' x 3 VHO actinic - trough: 400w venki

He's probably not eating but nipping it away. the odd yellow tang can be destructive like that. Wouldn't last long in my tank. My yellow hasn't touched a thing yet...if he does, he's outta there.
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

mouse

what do you mean he is probaly not eating it but nipping it away? he's nipping because he's eating. I sat and watched this fish go to the coral and tear off any polyps that the sun coral did not tuck away completely and eat them. he did this every 20 seconds like he was on crack so I pulled the coral out right away. Strange thing is he has not touched any other coral and I have a few. This is my 2nd yellow tang as the other one died last year[never healthy] and I to am very suprised by this behaviour! I love the yellow color but I also really like the sun coral. Hard to balance things aint it. I also have a yellow gobie that is coming out when I move[he likes SPS]

John,
    While it's not all that unusual because Tangs are notorious for nipping certain corals such as open brains like a GOB, at the same time I've never seen one bother things like the sun coral.
    Maybe he just needs a bit more ffod or variety. Try flipping him a couple quarters and tell him to go down to the nearest McDonalds for a burger. Just be careful you don't knock his glasses of his nose when you toss him the quarters because once they fall in the sandbed, they'll be hard to get/find.

Talking toutouche

The yellow tang said he's to worried about MAD COW disease!
    there for he is boycotting MC's.
    Actually, I feed a very varied diet. flake, frozen[2 types] mysis,brine,nori and cyclop eaze.

You're trying the Cyclop stuff??? How do you find it? From what I've read, it's seems to be the best thing since sliced nori bread!!! Is it pellets, powder, dry, frozen? Maybe I'll buy some tomorrow if I see it, and you say it's THAT good??!!!

Look!!! I'm a SeaSQuirt now!!! heh, heh!! :

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast