Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mixing wrasses?

mixing wrasses?

I have a 6 line and want to get a 4 line. In a 180g tank can they get along?

The sixline will chase him, but if the 4line can hide he'll do fine in a 180. However, there is always the chance that you will find him on the floor someday. Sixlines are pretty territorial, but in a 180 I think it would be OK...If the 4line does OK and gets to grow a little he will outgrow the 6line and then things may reverse or even out.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

Six-lines aren't territorial at all. I have one in with my seahorses, because they are such mellow fish. The 4-line will be much more aggressive even tho it's smaller.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

Cool

sorry CANADIAN GUY. I disagree. on the occasion you might get a fish that doesn't follow suit but for the most part six lines can become VERY aggressive! they have been known to attack the eyes of other fish like mandarins[dragonettes]and will harrass other wrasses till they die of stress. you got lucjy so far. I love the coloration of sixlines but won't buy one because I want to add many flashers and fairys.On fishbase.org it also states they can become aggressive.

I had a sixline that was always a silly little carefree fish. Then I added a small leopard wrasse and he turned evil instantly. I couldn't believe it. I wouldn't add another wrasse with an established siline.
    Susan

Sixlines are one of the most consistantly agressive fish regardless of tank size. They will harrass ANYTHING that is new- usually not to the point of death, but as Johnny points out, they are not beyong killing another fish.
    I can only assume that 6lines don't have much of a problem with seahorses. I'd be willing to bet that given a change, a 6line wouldn't hesitate to pop a fresh baby sea horse in its mouth...no experiance on that, though....
    Wrasses in general are a pretty mean bunch- some more than others- I guess that can be said of any family of fish...
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I have seem my 6line who under normal circumstances never once bother any other fish turn into a terror when I added a new false perc. The 6line tormented it until I netted the new commer and moved some rocks around to settle everyone down. I love the 6line, would not have a tank without one!

This board is the only place I've ever heard of six-lines being aggressive in any way, shape, or form. All of the research I did, and the people I talked to said the exact opposite. I put a lot of effort into finding a perfect tankmate for my horses, and I wouldn't have even thought about it if I had seen any information that said they can turn aggressive. I'm not saying you're all wrong, but maybe you just had some bad seeds instead of me having a good one?
    Either way I'll keep an eye on him just in case, but thus far he's been a model tankmate.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

Cool wrasse

This is just 1 of many threads about sixline wrasses. awsome fish but your the exception CANADIAN GUY because for the most they won't let other warsses in and can kill other pod hunters and just plain go nuts.http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...e&pagenumber=2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast