Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Angry nitrates too high

just check my nitrates 20
    whats up with that,i got aqua c remora 3 weeks ago, so I was thinking that my nitrates will drop even more(use to be 5-10 with old air driven skimmer),I did water change 3 days ago, and I do changes every 2 weeks (8g change in 46g tank).
    should I leave lights on my refugium 24/7(have them on at night at this moment).only other thing I might think off
    is since I got my gorgonian I have been feeding it 2x a day
    cyclop eeze in am and golden pearls in evening + flake food for fish and mysys 4xwk for lps.
    thanks
    It's not a hobby,it's an obsession.

sokol that's actually a pretty big increase in the tanks load over a short time so perhaps an addition water change and give the tank some time to adjust to the changes in the bio-load that you have made.
    Rob

under 25 ppm souldnt that big of deal would it?Like OSD said......nice water change and dont overfeed.......how much LR do you have in there......
    Derik...

i have 55lb of lr,i did water change 3 days ago, should I do another one, only reason I increased feeding is becouse gorgonian it is nonphotosinthetic one so I want to keep it happy

I think you should wait another 4 days or so to do another water change and monitor your ammmonia ,nitrite and nitrates EVERY DAY.Your system might be overloaded a bit with the new additon.....i think it will stabilise soon and youll be fine...make sure again that you dont overfeed
    Derik...

Re: nitrates too high

Originally posted by sokol
    only other thing I might think off
    is since I got my gorgonian I have been feeding it 2x a day
    cyclop eeze in am and golden pearls in evening + flake food for fish and mysys 4xwk for lps.
    thanks
    IMO - Slow down the cyclop eeze and golden pearls. these will cause your nitrates to go up. I feed my tank a little pinch of golden pearls once a week and a pinch of cyclop eeze once a week usually about 3 or 4 days apart

That's the problem I ran into with my gorgonians too. It's hard to feed them enough golden pearls to keep them healthy without polluting the tank. GP will spike nitrates like nothing else.
    Susan

one more thing I noticed is my hermit was sitting on top of my xenia so could he dammaged xenia and that caused nitrates to spike up,becouse xenai is completely shrunk.

i have zero nitrates but some phosphates. do golden pearls/cyclop eeze/ phytoplankton/ marine snow - add any phosphates? or is it just from the food. i have tons of LR that take care of all the nitrates, and i guess this limits my chaeto from growing any faster to consume the phosphates.
    ... dont mean to side track, but figured we were on the issue of the effects of invert feeding effects.
    Albert
    My Photos

Check the labels on the foods for phosphates. Food does add some but the culprit is usually the water you use for make up and water changes.
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast