How to feed starfish

I had one red sea star (1.5") in one 15G tank and another marble sea star (2.5") in another 15G tank.

The tank housing the red sea star is about 9 months old and the other tank is about 4 months. Both tanks do not have much algae, except some coralline algae in the first tank.

I tried to feed them shrimp and scallop by placing pieces on the sand and move the starfish with its mouth on top of the food. But they were not interested in eating and moved away.

A week ago my red sea star initially lost one arm and then all. As it was small, all the crabs ate everthing.

Two days ago, my marble sea star in another tank started to lose one arm, then again lost all arms. Now these five arms are moving all the places, one even moves up on the glass. As there is no crab in that tank, do you think one or two starfishes can be reporduced by these arms?

Also if I buy another star fish, how can I feed it? Right now I don't think I will buy one until the tank has become more mature, and I know what has happened, etc.

The readings in the tank are ok except the calcium is in the high end. Also the temperature are stable at 78.5F +/- 0.8.

Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Apoon,
    Not to sound negative, but I would recommend you don't buy anymore stars for a tank that small.
    Stars need a VERY mature tank and a big one at that since they only eat the various Biofilm that covers the rockwork and glass. A small tank simply cannot produce enough of it's food quick enough. The experts on stars always say at least a tank minimum of 100 gallons for even 1 star. They will not eat meaty foods ( unless you have a carnivorous type star such as a chocolate chip or general star but hese however are not reefsafe and can go after certain corals too). I'm assuming the red one is either a Linkia or a Fromia type. Fromias tend to eat various sponges along with the Biofilm but prefer sponges first. Your marbled one is most probably a Fromia.
    The fact that your tank is still rather new, it probably didn't have enough various sponge life to keep it healthy.
    As for the arms that are still alive, these are usually called comets and if the arm seperated and kept a bit of the central disk attached to it, then there is a good chance that they can grow into a complete new star.
    As a sidenote,
    Whenever you are shopping for a star and you see one that has 1 obviously bigger arm than the rest, it was at one time a comet and if it has grown into a new full star. You should buy this one because they are usually a very strong and healthy star to make a complete recovery like that. Most people think it is simply a deformed and unhealthy star , but this is not true at all, but rather the opposite.

Cool

TOUTOUCHE is absolutly right! I couldn't keep a blue linkia alive in my mature 90g. it lasted around 4 months and they eat and move fairly fast.

Toutouche and Johnny - thanks for the valuable info. As a matter of fact, my wife told me not to buy star fish any more.

ALOT of people have a hard time keeping them,that's why i didnt get one
    Derik...

Contrary to popular belief, they aren't that hard to keep..., so long as you get one in excellant condition, acclimate it properly, and have the right tank setup for it. Once it has past the "break in" period, then it should be with you for a long time. BUT!! Again I stress that you need the proper tank environment for it.