Thread: Bryopsis

Bryopsis

I am considering getting a Lettuce Nudibranch and some Margarita Snalis to controll the latest algea bloom in my tank. Anyone have any experience with either of these?

Thanks
    Andrew

I had bryopsis When my tank first cycled. I just pulled as much out with my hand and srubbed the hell out of the area with a tooth brush. I know it's a real PITA, but it works. Every 6 months or so another clump will sprout and I just do the same as previously stated and it takes care of it. Some times the bryopsis will come back 2 or 3 times but don't give up it will go away as long as you keep the nutrients low. I had Margarita snails and they never touched the stuff.

Colby.
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

My tank is going through that cycle now. I am trying a Phosban reactor this time.

I used lettuce seaslugs on mine, they worked great. I had 4 or 5 of them. Beautiful critters too.
    Susan

I have the same answer as Flame Angel, except I'll ad they don't last all that long. Mine had kept reproducing ( or splitting... whatever it was they were doing...) and even though I had a bunch, they still eventually dissapeared.

Same here. They thrive while the food supply is there but once the bryopsis is gone so are they.

I felt awful about this and wouldn't buy them for a long time but nothing else I tried worked. Then Dr. Ron on RC told me that this is exactly what happens in the ocean. There's a plague of some type or another, some specialty critter shows up to eat it. The food source gone the specialty critters die.

I definitely wouldn't buy them unless you have a bryopsis problem but I wouldn't hesitate to do it again if I had to battle bryopsis again.
    Susan