Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hospital tank set up

i think i really need to set up a hospital tank. i thought i would get a 10g.

few questions.
    1. bare bottom or cc?
    2. does it need to have lights?
    3. is the penguim 125 bio wheel filter i have ok for it?
    4. do i take the carbon out and run it empty or leave it in? i read that you should run it on the main tank and then stick it in the hospital tank when you need it... true?

thanks

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    10 gallon is good for small fish. Nothing larger than dwarf angels.

1. Yes, Barebottom, have some pieces of PVC pipe of fittings in there for the fish to hide in.
    2. Minimal lights. Nothing fancy.
    3. Penguin would be perfect.
    4. Carbon would be good in there. Help clarify and remove any nasties. You should run the media in the tank for a while to develop a bacterial colony to help in filtration. Not the carbon.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

im not sure about the last answer...you said yes to carbon then no?.... im confused...

Good luck Atlantic...I hope you save your fish and get it worked out!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
    arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming
    WOO HOO - What a Ride!

My mistake...
    The Penguin's media cartridge is also the carbon cartridge as well.

You should indeed put the media cartridge for atleast 48hours, preferably a week, in your display aquarium's sump in order for it to develop a sufficient bacterial colony to act as a proper filter. This process "jumpstart's" the needed colony for your QT tank.

make sure if you are using this as a hospital tank and NOT as a quarenteen that you DO NOT put anything that has been in it back into your main tank/sump. You might contaminate your main system with any treatments you used or any disease that may be in there.

If it's a QT tank, then that is another story. There should be np putting the filter back into the main tank plumbing.
    -Dazz

Hospital or QT it makes no difference.. Nothing from the hospital or QT set up should ever go back to the display tank unless it can and is fully sterilized. Don't run carbon on your QT or hospital tank it will effect your chemical / med dosing.
    Rob

Actually,
    I was quite quick in replying before...

A new media cartridge should be used. Discard the old one once you have finished with the fish in QT or hospital. The media cartridge can be "jumpstarted" in your display's sump and then moved over to the QT/Hospital. Don't ever bring it back to the display once it's been used in the QT/Hospital as mentioned already.

OSD, Penguin/Emperor media cartridges contain some carbon already in them. There is no way to remove the carbon without running the filter media, which in essence is a blue sponge.

Thats not going to work well then and I suggest that a alternate media be used. Perhaps a sponge from a different manufacture that can be cut to fit. Carbon will adversely affect the meds used in the tank.
    Rob

I've personally used an Emperor 400 (Same as Penguin) on my QT using these media cartridges with great results.

The point to a QT is mainly isolation (preferably in a hyposaline environment as I previously explained) where you can safely look at your fish. Hyposalinity works MOST of the time, not needing any medications.

In the event that meds are needed (Pop-eye, fin-rot, etc), then it may be best to remove the media cartridge from the filter, and implement a daily waterchange routine.

However, I will state again that something like Ich or Velvet, is best treated with Hyposalinity, and no meds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast