I lost my watchmen goby 6 months ago...READ THIS

Well, About 6 months ago I put a yellow watchmen goby in my tank....within days he was gone. Dead I had assumed but I never did find a body.....never gave it much thought after that, figured the cleanup crew got to him before I did.

About 2 months ago, my return pump died on my sump, si I've been running the tank on nothing but powerheads since then, and the sump had been completely disconnected from the main system.....no heat, no topoff, nothing.

Today my new return pump arrived in the mail..Thanks Ivan!.....started taking all the old grimey filter media out of the sump and I saw something move....upon closer inspection, I found it to be my watchmen goby that was presumed dead half a year ago! He looks as healthy as a horse......very very very fat with very nice coloration all along his body and the edges of his fins.....I assume he kept well fed on all the pods left over down there......

The weird part is this....the water in the sump tested OFF the chart on my hydrometer which reads 1.035.....the temperature was 68 degrees!! How could he live in such terrible conditions for so long and actually thrive?

He's now floating in a bag in the display.....gonna be a slow overnight acclimation to the 1.025 and 82 degree conditions of the display.
    Visit my Reef @ NewfieReef.com

I read somewhere that cold water slow down the fish metabolism and make them eat less or something...etc

Since I know almost nothing about marine aquarium, i'm just trying to make sugestion.

But I'm happy he's back....

Interesting theory....works for Koi....
    Visit my Reef @ NewfieReef.com

That is funny!! Let me tell you an interesting story I too had. I bought a highfin goby awhile ago and placed hm in my tank. 2 days later, I found him in my sump. He went down my overflow and was swimming around down there. I netted him and returned him to the main tank. Again, 2 days later I found him downstairs but this time he was in my refugium!!! What makes this interesting is that the exit from my refuge has a screw in screen on it, which he can't get through. The input to my refuge is how he got in..., but it was through a running Mag 7!!!!!! The little guy got sucked in and made it through without a scratch!!

that is wild Azonic.....:thumb:

liv
    I have lost 3 fish soo far in my tank this year, I pulled out all my piping, checked the sump from A to Z.. checked everywhere..dont know where they are.
    I suspect one of the big hermits to be responsible for this but no proof.

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

DAN
    Well people yous arent alone I am presently on the hunt as well ,missing is my blue striped cleaner wrass & a golden wrass
    which havent been seen for more than 3 weeks since I introduced the sand siffter star just wondering if they were lunch or if they are just hiding in the SB .I know its not unheard of wrasses to hide for long periods like this but it
    strikes me as kind of odd that this took place right after that
    acclimation of the star!
    Around Here I Have a Verry Responsible Position
    .....every time somthing goes wrong
    I'M RESPONSIBLE!!

Azonic, I bet you because the aclimation was so gradual, over the period of days or even weeks, to those conditions, that the actual change of everything caused very little stress. Of course the temp and salinity probably DID cause stress, but obviously not enough . Congrats!
    -Dazz

Yup, you can get away with almost anything if it's been done gradually enough. Hence the price of gas
    Susan

Originally posted by Flame*Angel
    Yup, you can get away with almost anything if it's been done gradually enough. Hence the price of gas
    hyeah: hahaha