Inverts from local beach

Hi All,

I know that hunting for tank creatures for my tropical tank in the ocean (off the coast of New Brunswick) is a general no no but is there anything I could find that would be ok for my tank ? Are the snails found at local beaches generally the same snails sold in stores ?

just curious...

Nick.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    No. They're cold water species and won't survive in your tank. Also, they are probably tidal Nerite snails that will spend 1/2 the time out of the water (and maybe on your floor ).
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

That is not true, i've had those snails in my tank for over 6 months and they are surviving fine, i got them from the bay of fundy in saint john where i live, they can survive a WIDE range of temperatures due to coming and going of the tides, if they are acclimated properly they will be fine. Make sure you don't use any copper in you're tank though

Unhappy fishmonger

what do you keep your tank at? most cold water species will not survive long in a reeftank that should be ran between 78 and 84 degrees.

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Cold water species will survive in a warm tank...... for a short while. Being in a warm tank, their metabolic rate is highly increased, thus decreasing their lifespan.

That's why those beautiful red foot / moon snails don't sell well. Because they die shortly after due to their natural temperate (cooler) habitat.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!