Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First fish in the new tank!

I went to the local fish store last night to pick up a new diadema urchin for the reef (I moved my large one to the new tank already). I ended up coming home with a tiny little red firefish. One of my son's favourite fish, he named him Phoenix.

He's the only fish in an 8' 300g tank right now and is he ever cute! I fed the tank a teaspoon of Sweetwater Zooplankton this morning (very tiny) and it just went zooming everywhere with the strong current I have in this tank. Little Phoenix has been having a ball chasing them around for the last couple hours. I was worried he wouldn't catch enough but he's actually quite good at it.

It looks really strange to see one tiny fish in such a big tank but I really want to get any really docile fish in first and this was one I promised my son. They also have a pair of black leopard wrasses that I think I'm going to go back for. Apparently they've paired up already.
    Susan

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    PICS!!! :
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I'm going down to get the black leopards in an hour. I'll post some pics when I get back.

I don't think the little firefish would show up in a full tank pic, he's so tiny. Earlier this morning he was just sticking to one corner of the tank but he's out cruising and checking it all out now. Brave little fishy He tastes every speck that he can find. If it's food he eats it if not he spits it out. He has his little tummy all full now.

They've had these black leopards for over 6 months. I've been eyeing them but couldn't put them in my reef as I have a pair of ornate leopards in there already. I was hoping that they'd still be there when my new tank was ready and they are! One is just starting to turn into the terminal male too. I can't believe no one has bought them yet. They aren't the most colourful fish but I really love the personality of leopard wrasses. Very docile but always out in the open, very swimmy, quite a lot of character and they seem to love attention from people. If you turn your head sideways and bob they try to mimic you, it's very cute. Not sure what it means in fish language. I've been caught doing this in the store with them already. They must think I'm absolutely nuts down there
    Susan

Originally posted by Flame*Angel
    I've been caught doing this in the store with them already. They must think I'm absolutely nuts down there
    Not only down there...

hehhee..

Please snap pics of the black leopards... I wanna see!

Oh c'mon, we're like family here! I can't think of anywhere else I could post about trying to talk fish

I'll try to get some pics when I get back. I sure hope they're easier to photograph than my other leopards though. They are VERY ACTIVE fish. Maybe I'll snap a few while they're still in the bags just in case.

The little firefish is up at the top now checking out the stronger circulation. He really seems to like it but he's not getting too close to the Tunze Streams. I'm gonna have some buff fish in this tank
    Susan

Get your son to take a picture of them mimic you while you bob your head up and down...

I'm sure that'd be a kodak moment to share with the world!

Dang! I can't get a decent picture of them. These are black fish with tiny dots that don't stay still for an instant. Half the pics are a blur and the other half are just the glare of reflection on the glass. I'm going to try later when it's dark.

The leopard wrasses are precious. I didn't have to acclimate them long at all as the SG and pH of the LFS water was almot identical to mine. The male was fiesty in the bag. I put another spoonful of Sweetwater Zooplankton in the water and released the fish. They swam out of the bag and immediately started eating. No trouble there

For the first few hours the male wouldn't let the female more than a foot away from him but now that they're more comfortable they each go off and explore on their own for a few minutes before getting back together again.

I named them Jake and Jenna.

And no I don't think I'll be posting any pictures of me bobbing my head at the tank :P They aren't mimicking me yet here although they did in the store. Maybe after a few more days.
    Susan

that little bugger must feel like the KING of his domain.... For now.
    Rob

Yup, nothing quite like putting the first fish in

I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to get pics. I forgot my tank lights are still not up to a 12 hour photoperiod yet. As soon as the whites went off the wrasses were in the sand.
    Susan

I am really exciting for you....I can't even see the day we'll put our first fish in the tank...

I'm still buying lights/skimmer/filter and stuff...imagine...

my money tree is empty now...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast