Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Tank Overheated!!!

well considering that it is fall already and getting chilly out, i havent had my Air conditioner on anymore. seems like today somehow ended up being 80 out and when i got home my tank was at 87 (room at 84).all the fish look pretty stressed - some torn fins - and the male anthias was crab food :bigcry:
    i shut the lights and turned on the Air Condition (now down to 84). i hope everyone else recovers from this fine. i've read of so many people who let their tanks get that hot in the summer, while i used to think of 82 as WAY too hot (keept my tank at 78). but as i heard that people to keep their tanks warmer, mine was at 79 overnight and 82 with lights on. now with this hot day it jumped to 87 and i didnt like the results. i now learned my lesson not to be cheap on the air condition.
    Albert
    My Photos

that's a bummer Albert. O2 must have got real low. My tank in my basement ran in the 90s for a few weeks and all was OK
    Rob

yea I wouldnt necessarily think that the temp did it, but perhaps the temp in association with something else. Sorry to hear you lost a fish.
    -Dazz

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Dude, that's crappy news man...
    Sorry to hear.
    Let's hope the rest pull through.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Sorry to hear that, thats a real bummer.
    I know of a person here that keeps his tank at 84-86 all the time. It's actually not the temperture that kills them, it's the depletion of oxygen that does (due to the high temp) I'd be adding some more powerheads to keep a higher oxygen level in case it ever rises again.
    Lynn

could also be that they are not used to such a high temp (compared to those who run it higher regularly).
    from now on i will keep the air condition on till it snows out!
    perhaps i will also look into another tunze stream.
    it may also be the fact that these guys were still new and were still in their adjusting phase. so as it is they were relatively week, this must have pushed them over the endge.
    Albert
    My Photos

Fish can adjust to pretty big changes in temp as long as it is done slowly. Some books I have read in the past even suggest that in FISH ONLY tanks you can reduce the temp to about 72 and the fish will feed less, create less waist and have more O2. As long as the change is done over a few days you can do this safely. I think your tank must have become low on O2 unless the temp shot up very quickly like in 1/2 hour or less.
    Rob

Oh Alhra, so sorry to hear about your anthias, that must have been really heartbreaking. Whenever there is oxygen depletion it's the fish with the highest metabolisms that are the first to go and anthia certainly have high metabolisms. In time one of the females will turn into a male and take over his duties.

You might also consider a temp controller for your chiller.
    Susan

Susan,
    He doesn't have a chiller, he has an AC unit.

Sorry. I thought he had a chiller. Must have missed something somewhere.
    Susan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast