Thread: Road Trip

Cool Road Trip

Hi Everyone

I went for a drive yesterday up to The Oakville Reef Gallery store, Favio had many types of coral in stock, I went a we bit crazy and purchased a Euro-Reef CS8-3 hehe rated for a 175gal tank should be OK for 65gal and the upgrade to the 125Gal, I have set up as a planted freshwater latter on down the road.

I also purchased a Oceans Motions 8 port with the heavy-duty motor pack to put on the Mak-4 for the closed loop, the price was right for both the skimmer and the oceans motion device, the bonus with the oceans motion device is flexibility and NO power heads yehaaaaa!!!!

For lighting I think I changed my mind yet again LOL, I checked out the sunlight supply Reef optics 111 pendent fixtures 250W DE 20K German lamp with electronic ballast sweet fixture I like the idea of having full access through the top of the tank and NO fans running to try and keep the tank cool, I can always put fans down at the sump if I need additional cooling I dought I will though they run very cool considering the lamps wattage

Anyway if you get a chance to check out the Ocean Motions web site or The Oakville Reef Gallery store have a look.

For anyone living in London, I went to Parker Plastics for the in the tank overflow, should be ready next week and I found plumbing fittings at Lambeth pool and spa.

On to the Stand and the plumbing should be fun yikes!!

Ivan I sent you mail a week ago still no reply, I called your cell also but always got the out of range message, did you get my mail?

Cheers
    Louie

Louie,
    Congrats on your purchases. Just wanted to let you know that you can't get any better with the ReefOptix reflectors when using 250w DE bulbs. Those reflectors are the ones that started the whole controversly about a 250w DE bulb being as good as a 400w SE bulb ( but we all know that test was biased and not exactly true).

it was nice meeting you louie,we recently set up some t5 lighting fixtures,holy brightness!!!puts vho to shame.i have a 440w with 4 bulbs and the t5 with 4,54w bulbs is much brighter,for those setting up or changing lighting check out the t5 as they are an alternative to mh and vho.

Flavio,
    Do you have those T5's set up on a tank? if so, what depth is the tank and are there corals in it
    T5's do beat VHO's but I don't know about MH's too....
    There is still the "depth" of the tank thing to figure out long term too. You need the wattage to penetrate and how good the T5's penetrate deep is still to be seen over time. It would be interesting to hear your observations with actual coral growth and coloring.

Hi Guys,

Toutouche

I didnít know about any dispute over the Reef Optix 111 reflector hmm well I guess anything better than 250 W is gravy for SPS and I am heading that way, personally I read a review and some posts at Reef central like years ago and it stuck with me as being a kick butt Reflector, I donít even think the 111 was out then, yup there are others but not the same, brite little bugger: D

Flavio,

The first Reef optix 111 fixture I have ever seen was at your store, glad I stopped by and meet you and checked the place out.

The Euro-Reef hmm where to begin, not knocking the Becketts out there because I may keep mine for a down the road project but the Euro- Reef has been a favorite of mine for many years tight little bubbles real foamy.

The Oceans Motions was a solution at least for me to find a flexible water movement system, I was planning on 4 ports at the top, one in each corner pointing into the center and possibly 2 Revolutions ĺ 360s in the middle with 45s and 2 regular nozzles in the back, down lower, the combinations are many so I will have to sit down and think on it for a while.

I figured I want to spa flex it with ĺ then upsize to 1Ē for wider flows but I may mix it up a bit, splitting the Mak 4s output between 2 ports should give a nice flow for a 65 donít ya think?

I have 2- ĺ return holes in the back for the closed loop six inches down from the top so when you can get the strains in let me know and I will do another road trip and grab some other goodies too.

For the main return, I was planning on 3- ĺĒ ports drilled into the overflow 2 low, 1 high but I may only use 1 top and 1 bottom and save the other.

The list is still a little long but itís coming along, I am working on a split down the middle sump design Fuge/Frag area with a double walled main drain bubble trap
    and other goodies like 3-3/4Ē spa flex drains for the sump/skimmer and return pump areas for ease of detritus removal and water changes.

For the top of the tank if I go with pendants and I am leaning that way just not 100% sure on the 20K because I liked the 14K Hamilton pics on Aquarium pros site in the side by side comparisons, I think I already asked you but will again LOL what other brand name lamps will fire on that Reef optix 111 fixture?

The T 5 lamps funny you should mention them because I have been eyeing them for a while, can they be hung as well? With a reflector? Depending on the K, I may want to supplement the halides.

I had planned to drive all the way up to check out Aquarium Depot but didnít make it past Oakville LOL well I will have to make another trip and any one from London who wants to tag along drop me a PM, Aquaria Canada is on the list to hmm maybe a train rid they can be fun and the Ottawa area is nice this time of year, may require a over nighter for that trip.

Ivan
    I got the message and sent one back

Good que on the T5s because I susspect others may be interested

Man that was a long reply LOL
    See ya, got home work
    Louie

i just got a tank and stand delivered that will be our experimental t5 tank,i will try different corals,ie:sps,lpl and see growth rates.i dont suspect they will beat mh for growth but i see many advantages to the t5.so far i like them alot.by weeks end i will have 5 hoods running in the store.right now depth is at 30in the highest fixture with good light input.there is a german guy named bernd moher that had one of the most stunning tanks of sps corals in germany,do a search on reef central.he ran mh and did a switch to t5 with no decrease in growth,but gained in colour.very interesting to say the least.ill post some results when i have this tank running for at least 6 months.ive compared and used the double ended pendants from pfo and hamilton,the reef optix is by far the best,there a few itmes to look at when using these pendants,i prefer the polished aluminum reflector as the last time i looked pfo and hamilton used hammer tone of some sort,the biggest advantage is the dimensions of the unit,the bulb produces a very concentrated light,the optix has the best spread due to its low profile.you can use any double ended bulb on these as the 2 ballasts we carry will fire any up,even the new xm fire on electrnic as well.the ballast will decide which bulb to use.ive used the giessmann 14.5k which is a great bulb but my preferance lies in the 20k,would be nice to put a hamilton14k and giessmann 14.5 to see the difference.there are many types of ways to hang the t5,there are retros,pendants etc.next time make sure im in and ill show you louie.