Thread: cucumbers

cucumbers

I have seen a sea cucumber for sale this past weekend, and was wondering if I should buy it.

How do I know the good guys from the bad guys? This one was a rather drab brownish color, and it was crawling way up on the glass side. I was surprised as I thought cucumbers were sand sifters.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Peluche,
    From experience with different types, the all black Holothuria types are the best for doing the job. These guys move all the time 24/7. There are many other drab colored ones that are safe, but IMO, they don't do as good a job. For example, the Tigertail cukes usually only move at night and tend to stay in or near one area. The Pink/Black Holothuria ( edible and used in Sushi by the way), move around but not as fast and sometimes tend to hang out in an area for days at a time. The type to look for are called "moppers" and they'll have a bunch of tentacles coming out of the front end which will be pointed DOWNWARDS ( important to notice because some waterborne filterers also have tentacles at the end but usually face upwards).These look basically like a mop and is what they use to grab the sand and ingest it. Nature is the only store that usually has the good black types from what I've seen by the way.

Thanks Toutouche............I guess I will have to find pictures as I have no clue as to what kind it is.

But the little fellow was visibly moving up the with lights on, and he had tons of little tentacles underneath. It was not uniformly brown, but definitely not a solid black either.