Feeding Brineshrimp

Does anybody have an opinion/experience feeding brine shrimp in the refugium and letting it migrate to the big tank. Some people say you could run into problems by providing a food source to nasty critters that didn't have a constant food source before.

Do you mean live brineshrimp or frozen?
    Susan

live brineshrimp

Well I do have some experience with this.

If you have one aiptasia in your tank and start feeding live brine shrimp you'll soon have an aiptasia plague on your hands that you'll likely be battling for as long as you have the tank. This happened to me and I had to stop the live brine.

However, if you don't have aiptasia, I'd go for it. My fish and corals absolutely loved it. Adding it to the refugium is an excellent idea.
    Susan

First of all, migration to the main tank from the refuge means going through the pump/power head that will chew them up most times.
    Second, you won't be able to maintain the level of food in the refugium, that is required to keep the brine shrimp alive. The water circulation will put the food throughout the system, including the main tank.
    Brine shrimp feed off of plankton/phtoplankton that is in the water column.
    My brine shrimp page can be found at:
    RAISING BRINE SHRIMP
    At the bottom of the page are several links to a lot of excellent information on brine shrimp.

My refugium sits about two feet higher than my main tank, so pumps are not a problem. How much phyto do they really need? I've got an algae problem right now and am trying to add as little to the system as possible. I've heard when introducing live food things that you didn;t know were in your tank may start to florish, like hydroids.

That would depend on the numbers you want to keep. Unfortunately though, you would have a big problem because the density has to be sufficient to cloud the water and if the refuge is cloudy, so is the main tank.