Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

another sand thread

hi guys,
    well ive just spent three nights reading through sand threads on this site and rc and ive come to the desicion that i would like to use southdown sand for my new 65g.

Heres the problem, i understand that it can only be purchased in the states, and i cannot leave the country due to an immigration application which seems to be taking forever. (i have been in kingston 18 mnths now, and am originally from the uk)

So if anyone has 2 or 3 bags for sale or is going to the states to purchase some i would be eternally grateful. I will gladly pay all costs involved ie shipping taxes fuel expenses beer etc etc.

please, thankyou

gratefully yours

steve

Cool steve

Just go by a bag or 2 of CARIBSEA or whatever grain size you want from a LFS. for a 65g its not that big of a deal to buy a bag. maybe $40. by the time you find someone going for southdown and factor in shipping and/or beer your really not saving a whole lot of coin. for bigger tanks its worth it for sure.

Hey Steve, I just went through this dilemma too, reading all the threads on sand. $40 for a bag for the CaribSea was more than my single income budget could handle. The reality is that the only stuff available locally, that was going to be cheap, was the silica stuff. In the end I had to succumb to this reality and started researching the ‘silica’ myths and facts. There are great articles on Advanced Aquarist and Flame Angel had quoted an article (can’t find though )

I just setup my new (used) 65 and I used two mounds of the crushed aragonite (to support my two rock towers) and used three bags of Stone Masons Décor sand available at HD locally. I spread it around the two “aragonite islands” It’s very nice sand, round uniform beads, white … but it smelt strong and needed lots of washing …. And just $6/bag!

My two cents

I've try'd the silica sand and while I had no probs it grey'd out after awhile.It didn't look all that natural either. Theres not to many things in this hobby that are cheap thats for sure. spending $40 for your sand is well worth it if you can't get southdown and even if you could you have to factor in the gas to get it.

I have a friend that did a deep sand bed with silica sand from her local beach and then just added an inch of white CaribSea on top for looks. It worked well for her. A lot cheaper too.
    Susan

thanx guys.
    what colour is the mason sand from hd slo? id like it to look natural and im not very impressed with the silica sand especially if it turns a grey colour with time.
    heres my plan for setting up the 65g (which is going to be a big pain as it has to go where the 45g is now) if you experts would care to read any advice would be gratefully received.

1 Find sand
    2 put the new sand and new rock(not LR) in along with about 20g of new water
    3 seeed the sand with stuff from my old tank (45g corner)
    and a few pieces of LR from the tank
    4 wait 1 week and add a couple of damsels some snails hermits etc (all from the 45g except the damsels
    5 wait 3 weeks then swap the corals the rest of the LR, critters, and fish into the 65g
    6 move the 45 out put the 65g in and fill up the 65 with the water ffrom the 45g
    7 pray

i also need some advice on lighting for the new tank at present i have 1 250W M/H, i either need to purchase another
    (not to keen on 2 ballasts) or go with P/C VHO's etc in conjunction with the M/H, any suggetions?

thanx guys and please excuse my bad spelling and grammar
    We need more Indians!

what colour is the mason sand from hd slo? id like it to look natural and im not very impressed with the silica sand especially if it turns a grey colour with time.
    I'll snap some pics tonight and let you have a look. It's white ... with some grey. Just last night though I ended up tearing down my refuge on the 29 gallon setup. In my fuge I had use a bag of the Carib Sea, so I've done what Flame Angel had suggested and put that layer on top of the silica. Looks very nice

2 put the new sand and new rock(not LR) in along with about 20g of new water
    Moving a tank around with any amount of water and Rock is dubious at best. One option (that I have done in the past in these cases is to use the large rubbermaid tubs as a temporary setup. The tubs would have heat, powerheads, skimmer, light and could run like that for the time needed to move your 45 out of the way and put your 65 in place.

3 seeed the sand with stuff from my old tank (45g corner)
    and a few pieces of LR from the tank
    4 wait 1 week and add a couple of damsels some snails hermits etc (all from the 45g except the damsels
    5 wait 3 weeks then swap the corals the rest of the LR, critters, and fish into the 65g
    6 move the 45 out put the 65g in and fill up the 65 with the water ffrom the 45g
    The fact that you have a setup that will seed your 65 is good news. All tanks (I've broken down three now to new bigger setups) have had very different cycles. Testing is a must to watch the chemistry as it goes through the cycle. Don't leave that to guess work. I saw the spikes and falls on my latest move happen in two weeks and I've had others that took 4 to 7 weeks.

7 pray
    This doesn't work very well IMO. Planning, testing, due dilligence are far more reliable

Lawrence [SloHand]

thanx man, i bit the bullet tonight and bought two bags of reef sand from roy's, that and a few bits of reef rock --------------------------- $180---------- ouch, still, better than the $600 bucks the first set up cost. i'd still like to see the mason sand as i dont think two bags will be enough for a three inch bed so i'm considering either mixing it in or using it underneath.

Ps Roy's has some nice blue tangs, his set up has improved considerably, i think i will be buying all my livestock from him in the future. the other LFS are nowhere near as healthy. Pet paradise seems to be getting worse

later's
    We need more Indians!

Good move steve ... hey if you can afford it ya gotta do it! Meanwhile here is the pic's I promised ...

... and Roy's does get some awesome stock. Before I even came to Kingston the boys at the Menagerie in Toronto use to have Roy's import for them ... still do (I think). I just wish they'd get upto speed on whats going on ... we heard at our meeting this past weekend that they recommended UGF for a newbie who was in asking their advise They are still using that in the shop too ... oh my ...

Oh gosh that pic is big : Sorry. You should see the sand well though ...lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast