Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Feeding a Copperband

Does anybody have any suggestions at coaxing a new Copperband butterfly into eating. I've tried Brine shrimp, mysis, prepared Hakari foods, Flake, cyclopeeze. It has looked at everything. Tasted a few things, but not really eaten anything to speak of. I was thinking of trying mussels on the half shell which worked for me 15 years ago when I last had one of these, but I'm hesitating because I want buy a clam in the not to distant future and I don't want to start any bad habits. Any help that you can offer would be greatly appreciated as I really like the fish, and would hate to see him starve to death.

how long haave you had him?If its only a days or 2 give him a chance and continue trying he ill eventually eat
    Derik...

I've only had him a few days. What food is best for them?

Live foods are best if you can get them. Live brine is good as a starter and has worked in every case for me in the past. Was it eating at the shop where you got him.
    Rob

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    When I was trying to get mine to eat, it took exactly one week of varying the menu nightly. Like you, I tried several offerings, and he ended up eating Mysis.

Only Mysis....

Mine passed away about a month ago after having him for 4 months. I suspect he died of malnutrition. Once you get him to eat Mysis, feed him that only for several days, then cut it off, and start him on something else, slipping in the mysis every now and then until he eats the new offering. Do this again with several different foods and you should be ok.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I know there is quite a few people that there copperband died of malnutrition
    Derik...

It had just arrived at the shop the day before I bought him. I know that it's not the best way to go, but I did it anyway. I've never bothered to do the live brine shrimp thing before. How long does it take to buy, hatch etc. to have a supply of live shrimp on hand. Do I have enough time before he starves, or should I wait it out for a few days as Volitan suggests to see if he starts eating the other offerings?

Thanks Tang Man. I'll try that. I've already tried the Mysis. In fact I took a piece of rubble off the bottom of the tank and squished some Mysis that was soaked in Garlic into the rock and put it back in the tank. The copperband was very interested. unfoutunately, so was the Fox Face, who muscled in and ate the works. I'll give that a try again tomorrow.

Gary

yep, I try'd a CB as well, try'd everything to get him to eat. no go and after a few months he just died overnight

They are difficult at best and in this case it is too late to make sure he is healthy and feeding at the shop so we will have to do the best we can with what we got. If you go to the local pet store they sell a kit for brine shrimp and all you need beyond that is a small air pump. I think you can have them hatched inside a week but I am not sure. In the old days of small shops they would have the stuff for sale. They often brought it in with they fish shipments for this sort of thing. Anyway you could start that now while you continue with what you already doing. If things do not go will nothing is lost as live brine is a great treat for your fish in general. I hope he makes it they are very nice additions to any setup.
    Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast