Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I Nuked My Tank!!!!

I got my new 70 Watt 10,000K Halides from Ivan(switched them from the 20,000K). I put the new bulbs in my fixture and turned them on to see how they looked. The 10,000K bulbs were not quite as blue and didn't look a whole lot more intense than the 20,000K. I left the bulbs on for about an hour and a half, before turning them off. I didn't want to keep them on to long because my corals didn't have very good lighting for the past 2 day's while I was building my new fixture. When I did go to turn the halides off I noticed all my corals were closed up, so I figured they were just irritated due to the new light intensity.

I woke up in the morning to see that my candy cane coral had lost most of his tissue, and my blue acro frag was no longer blue. The tissue is half gone as well on that acro, and it's now a very pale color. I also just received an efflo frag from Ivan a week ago and it's not looking very good(very pale in some areas). My fungia plate coral is swollen to the point where it looks like it's going to explode!!!! My blasto is all shrivled up, and my hydophora is shrivled as well. My gorgonia does not have it's polyps out. On the other hand all my zoo's look fine some are even open, and my mille frag, and the other acro frag looks alright too.

I put a large bag of seachem's sea gel in the tank(carbon mixed with a phosphate sponge), and I will do a 25% water change every day for the next few day's.

I think this all happend because I didn't put any UV sheilding glass in my fixture. The weird thing is that I didn't have any UV glass in the fixture when I used the 20,000K bulbs either and they never hurt the corals??? Do you think the 10,000K bulbs would give off that much more UV than the 20,000k? Or is it a combination between more light intensity and UV? I thought the bulbs came with a UV coating?

I went out today and picked up some UV sheilding glass called Low E. I have it installed in my fixture now, and hope that it will prevent this from ever happening agin!!

Now for a few qeustions....
    What more can I do for my corals to hopefully recover, other than water changes and carbon?
    What should I do for my lighting now? How long should I have my lights on? should I keep the lights off for a couple day's to let them heal, with only indirect sunlight to illuminate the tank?

I have my fixture as high above the tank as it will go about 3'. I plan on having my actinics(2 x 32 watt PC's) on for 10 hours but my halides(2 x 70watt) on for only an hour. what do you think, I just don't want to stress them any more!!! By the way I took lots of pics of the aftermath but it's getting late and I will post them tommorow with before and after pics of the corals.

Wish my poor babies luck they will need it!!! Any info would be greatly aprecitaed Thanks.

By the way it's a 10 gallon nano with a 10 gallon sump, CPR bak pak skimmer, Tunze top off system, 2 x 32 watt PC's actinic, 2 x 70 watt 10,000K halides, and 2 x 32 watt Pc's 10,000K over the sump with cheato.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Cool

are they DE or SE lamps? if SE they don't need glass. I'm pretty suprised that after only a few hours that would happen? could it be something else possible? most just either start off with 5 hours and then slowly ramp up the light over a few weeks to back were it was or raise the lamps and lower them over time.

10k bulbs are orders of magnitude more intense than 20k. Even 1 hour under them, especially new bulbs, after using older 20k bulbs, could easily do this. I would suggest getting the corals back to health under either the 20k, or put a large number of layers of nylon screening under the 10k bulb.
    -Dazz

OMG... I just saw you have 2 of them over a 10 gallon. Well, that is truly a HUGE change in the ammount of light. If you had a par meter I think you might find it 10 or 20 times more light than with the 20k bulbs.
    -Dazz

liv
    I think its a combination of your two days with not enough light and then running th 10k's without a shield. I have been reading alot of the DE;s and I still believe you need a glass shield for a DE bulb.

also, Dazz has a very good point.. your eyes may not see a big diff, but the corals might/will.
    10k's are alot more intense.. my frogspawn reacted within hours to the 10k's.

did you monitor your temp ? cauz a big variation will do this to corals.

hope everything recovers fine!!

moving.. so temporarily out of SW :b8:
    planning next tank, possibly 60x30x20 on 2x plasma.
    updated: 2011/05/30

Cool

yes if there DE you need the glass.

Sorry to hear about your corals. Hope everything pulls through ... good luck

They were the 70 watt DE bulbs from Ivan.
    The 20,000k bulbs were brand new as well, I had to trade them because they would'nt stay on for more than an hour with my ballasts.
    I did realize that there would be more PAR with the 10,000K, but I did'nt think that it would have been enough to melt corals in an hour and a half. That's why I think it's UV related, because it happend in such a short period of time. Or maybe a combination of both?
    I don't think it was a heat issue because these bulbs run very cool in my fixture with the dual fans.
    Maybe the PH had a large swing due to the low lighting for 2 days, then changing to bright halides? I'm not sure how long it takes for the PH to change?

I will post some pics when I get home from work.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

Just so you know, using the glass with a DE bulb is not only to protect the corals, but to protect you as well!!! You yourself are getting bombarded with UV rays and that is not a good thing.

I've read alot of articles about glass and uv rays. I had no idea it could affect your tank that fast without a glass shield.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast