Clownfish meet Overflow Box

I'm having a little problem with one of my clowns. She is a dumbass basically.

My mated percs "sleep" on the surface of the water, right next to the slots that water flows into my overflow box.....I don't know why they have chosen this place but they have.

Today, for the third time, I looked in my tank and noticed only one little perc swimming around..the Mrs. was no where to be found...until I noticed, again, a small orange blip of color through the semi-transparent overflow box. The dumbass managed to get in again.

I don't know if she is jumping, or getting sucked through the slots when sleeping or what, but I'm looking for a way of stopping her from getting in there without slowing the flow rate of the overflow box.

Anyone have any similar experiences or suggestions? TIA
    Visit my Reef @ NewfieReef.com

my tomotoes also sleep near the surface of the water. Perhaps because I dont have a suitable host for them.

You could add egg crate to the overflows.
    -Dazz

Egg crate would work and also the external overflow I bought way back came with a strainer which covered the slots sort of like putting a thin piece of foam in the overflow which would block the gettting sucked in the egg crate would block the jump.....depends on where it's positioned so that it would protect from a jump and getting sucked through.
    Stephen

Eggcrate or a porous plastic strianer is all I can think of. Hard to get something in there that wont impeed the flow.

I wonder if crafters plastic canvas would work? It is easy to cut/shape and the holes are fairly large. Also pretty cheap.
    180g with 2 x 54g corner bowfront bookends. 220 FOWLR in the works, 75g sump, 75g fuge, 75g QT.
    Solaris I4 72", 2 x 150 HQI Outer Orbit Pendants, Reeflo Orca 250, Profilux controller, Tunze 6101's and 6055's, Deltec CA Rx, PM Kalk Mixer, PM SR45 reactors.

Not familiar with crafters plastic canvas.....could you describe it?
    Visit my Reef @ NewfieReef.com

Like eggcrate, it is plastic squares with holes. The canvass has holes that are about 1/8" square, with about 1/16' inch plastic. It is sold in sheets approximately 8 * 11" and only costs a couple bucks. Here is a picture (I hope)

I had the exact problem with a couple of percs. I fixed it with some nylon gutter screem from home depot

crafters plastic canvass would be very good if it is tank safe. That could be hard to prove or disprove. You could if you like that hole size buy a plastic strainer for draining pasta and cut from it what you need. It would be food quality plastic.
    Rob

You could move some power heads around to increase flow in that area. This would make it a less attractive place to sleep for the clowns. If you move some rocks around you may find them seeking out a new territory. Putting anything over the overflow slots is asking for trouble IMO. It will make it much easier for algea to collect.