Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Replacement fish

OK, so as most of you already know, I lost all of my "free swimming" fish in the blackout, along with a pair of scarlet cleaner shrimp (Lenny & Carl). What survived, were a Lawnmower Blennie (Rufus), and a Yellow Watchman Goby (Bubbles).

I've always wanted a nice pair of Percs, or Oscellaris, and I added two juvenile Percs last Saturday just before the MASO meeting.

I have a 55 gallon tank.

The blennie has a great personality, but quite frankly isn't the most attractive fish, the gobie only makes occasional appearances, and the percs don't really swim around that much (they seem to have attached themselves to my left powerhead). I'm looking to add something(s) that will move around alot, and look stunning.

One of the fish I lost was a six line wrasse, and he was great, always cruising the reef. Another six line wrasse remains my top pick for the next fish, but I'd like some input from you guys. I figure I'll only add one to two more fish, three tops and they would all have to be small species.

Fish I've thought about so far:

Marine Betta
    A pair of black mollies
    Yellow/Canary wrasse
    Purple dottyback.

I tough black mollies were fresh water only fish,

?!?
    25g Reef

Black mollies are actually "brackish" and can be aclimated to live in full salt water. Fishysan keeps a pair in his sump, and from what I have read, they can be desirable in a reef because they are live-breeders and the fry is good to feed the rest of the tank.

Hey Todd

Ever thought of a Copperband Butterfly. They have great personalities and swimming behaviour. A really beautiful fish. I don't know if you have aptaisia problems, but he will eat those (as well as any small feather dusters you might have in the tank). He is a finicky eater however. The one I had (before the blackout) would only eat crustaceans (shrimp. mysis etc..) I will be getting another after I get my Desjardini out of quarantine and in the big tank.

Get a real salt water fish, not mollies.

You certainly won't be upset about loosing mollies in the next power outage. My mollies were for food for my beta in case he was interested! And thus they remain as live bearers.

I have all the fish in that list except the wrasse, mine's a cleaner wrasse. He cleans, eats like a pig, and terrorizes my large tubeworms (decorative feather dusters).

A beta is very cool, but it will not "cruise" the reef, they are primarlily nocturnal hunters, and it will take a while for him to come out and hover, etc.

Aside from wrasses & tangs, chromis (cheap!) and anthias(Except fatheads/sunbursts) are great water column cruisers.

I agree, CB's are beautiful fish.. not sure I'd keep one though unless I had a problem.

hmmmm... fish.. going for sushi at lunch time. yum.
    Fishysan ><>
    ---
    180g display main floor, 150g trough, 75g, 20g in basement
    SPS, LPS, softies, many clams & 14 fish
    main: 250w AB DE HQI x 3, 5' x 3 VHO actinic - trough: 400w venki

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    The yellow Canary Wrasse (halichorus chrysus) is a GREAT fish.
    Constatly cruising around the tank, picking at the rocks. Beautiful bright color! Especially in it's adult colouring...
    I had one before the crash. I intend to get another.
    These fish also disappear to sleep under the substrate at exactly the same time at night and come out the next morning when the lights come on, like clockwork!

Here's a pic of an adult sporting it's adult colour markings...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacement fish-yellow-coris-wrasse-halichoeres-chrysus-adult-small-.jpg  
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Here's another beauty to consider... Although I have no experience with this fish. It is however another strikingly beautiful wrasse.

The Flasher (Filamentous) Wrasse:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Replacement fish-flasher-wrasse-pfilamentosus.jpg  
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

ijo
    wow...:eek4: nice fish!!! I want one

IJO

Great shots Vince,

I wonder if there would be a problem putting those two together?

My reference books say the Flasher's are like super-males and won't tolerate other wrasses in the same tank. :guns:

The fact that both species ship badly, requires you to really look the survivors over well before you purchase one. I'd say reserve it at the LFS and if it turns out o.k after a week or so, it'll last.

I have an exquisite fairy wrasse in my 66 right now so I think another wrasse is probably out of the question.

Van

I still need to get those posts up to 50 before I can post my ReefRat avatar, is that right Ivan?
    It's not junk, it's un-assembled DIY!

ijo
    RreefVat send me the avatar and I'll add it to youir profile or... you can post 29 useless facts and smilies like other people (no names)... lol

IJO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast