sally lightfoot crab

Just bought myself a sally lightfoot crab and trying to get some feedback on this type of crab. Are they good in a reef setup ..

I have one in my tank since i first set up my reef (about a year and a half) and i'm very happy with it. he is quite large now and is always eating something (keeps the tank clean). he never bothered any fish or anything.
    Albert
    My Photos

I love my SL .... really I do! Despite this http://aquariacanada.com/forums/show...&threadid=4689

Didn't someone just write in about their Sally eating three pepermint shrimp? I think the response then was "not reef safe"

Sara

See link I posted above. That was me ... I still believe they are ok. "Reef Safe" is pretty general term and shouldn't be used like a loose cannon. SL are reef safe IMHO.

I've had more sally lf. crabs in my tank than I can count and never saw one do anything but scavange. However, I've also never been able to keep them past a year because they always seem to leave the tank and end up under the furniture and crispy. My tangs harass them- I assume because they are competing for algea. I've never seen them do any damage in a reef...
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

i have tangs and they never even seemed to care that the SLF even exists. (and never climed out either, cant climb the glass t0o high.)
    Albert
    My Photos

I've had one for two years in my Reef and it is huge! It never bothers shrimp, fish or other inverts......but........I originally bought two .... one day about a month after they were in I just saw this ball of legs and claws rolling around and the bigger of the two had ripped off all the legs and claws off the other one...when I asked my LFS about it they said "oh yeah only one per tank"..... go figure.