Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

The ultimate SPS nano thread

This is something that i have been thinking about for awhile now, i want to try and build the perfect sps nano tank so that when i move away to do my masters i'll be able to take frags of all my current sps and move them into a nano that is more then adequate to grow them out.

I'm thinking of either a 10 or 15 gallon main tank, drilled for an overflow and a closed loop circulation system so i don't have to have any powerheads in my main tank at all.

The sump will probably be the same size as the display tank, with a skimmer, mini calcium reactor or calcium alk dosing systemand carbon for water polishing, i plan to build the sump specific to exactly what equipment i'm going to use on the tank, and i'm thinking possibly a DIY skimmer, i'm not sure yet.

The lighting i'm thinking of going with either a 70w MH or a 175W mh supplimented by some actinics, i'm leaning more towards the 175W as of now.

This is a long term project and i'd really like to hear what everyone thinks of it.
    The first thing i'm planning on getting is the display tank ( etiher 10 or 15 gal ) and then drilling it and installing an overflow, i have absolutly no experience drilling tanks so i'd like to hear how to do it, i know that some people on here are using the dremel tool to do it, and how woudl i go about making an overflow box for it ?
    Thanks
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

ijo
    Mark... I've been planning the same idea... I'll be using a 16" starphire cube.... the main thing to remember with nano tanks is temp swings... they can be all over the place since the water volume is so small. Now add a some MH to that and err well... you have yourself some very hot water.

Think about adding some sort of chiller to your setup... a client and I are working on a DIY chiller(more info to follow as soon as we are able to test it).

The tank is drilled with a 3 inch hole on the bottome panle... this is where the drain, return(the return goes through the drain) and MH wires will be(the wires will be inside another tube). The tank will be viewable from all 4 sides with the ability to move the tank 1 complete 360 turn. It will also have a fuge, skimmer, kalk doser but I am not sure about a mini calcium reactor... I think I'll go with a cal/alk drip.

hrrmmm is this my thread or yours? lol sorry :

IJO

I think if I were to do the 10g nano over again, I'd go bigger. 20" long isn't quite long enough to get "standard" toys. They tend to start at 24".

10g is okay, but without a sump there's some interesting challenges, and with a tank this small fixing one problem seems to cause 2 more.

But moving on...

The 70W MH light heat was easy to deal with, I have a big enough fan that it keeps the metal chasis cool enough to touch even after burning for 4.5 hours.

The down side is I now have an evaporation problem to deal with (auto top off in progress.). I thought the heat generated here would be a problem, but actually the air flow is. I'm also looking to add a themistor to the fan circut to slow it down when it's not hot.

I've also discovered that water flow creates it's own problems. It seems having the flow you'll likely want in a space that small funbob's the heater's themometer. I'm still working this out. (See wierd heating problem).

I'm thinking I'll set up a closed loop myself, but I didn't drill so I'll hang it off the back. Splitting the returns will give me better coverage and might reduce each flow to the point where my heaters can figure out what's going on again. I just need to figure out how to figure out which pump to get

If chillers weren't so damn expensive I'd put one on, so I'm looking forward to seeing those DIY plans Ivan.

Cheers!

I have a 10 gallon nano, with a 10 gal sump. I have just recently installed 2 X 70 watt halides with PC actinics. It's a mixed reef right now but I'm slowly converting it to mainly SPS. I have found the same problems as Kruger, It's hard to find equipment that are made specifically for a 10 gallon tank. I have an auto top off, a CPR bak pak skimmer. I don't have a reactor but I may add one once I get more SPS in the tank. I do have lot's of ugly power heads in the tank that I would like to remove.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

IJO - I allready have a 16 gal cube its my fuge lol, so i don't know if i'm going to build my nano myself or not, i might like one of the standard sizes better.

I believe my canopy design will really help deal with the heat from the MH's , a fan on each side pushing the air through, and a really tall canopy, i just don't know how i'm going to make the canopy look nice lol.

Does anyone have any pictures of overflows on a drilled tank ?
    Mark
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer

Not that I have any advice to add here since I've never had a nano, but I've always joked with others who have been to my house that if I ever set up a nano, I would have a small 10 gallon or less, but the trick is to hook it up to my main filter system downstairs which itself is more than 200 gallons. The visitors would only see the tiny tank and wonder how it can be so stable!!!!! : :jump3: :eveilman:

Have any of you seen what to me is the ultimate nano? It's on RC ( I'd have to find it though), and it's a vase whith the softies literally packed up against the glass!!! Yet they are all thriving and growing amazingly!!

Yes there is a great article by Daniel Knop in Coral Mag about Nano`s. There were Nano`s running for over 7 years in a little cube about 6" x 6" it was a great article and was quite long and indepth.
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

DO you have a link to that nano on RC ?
    Mark
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer

I dont know if this was the same Vase Nano tank but I found one and some other interesting nano's

Here is the Vase nano I found...
    http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...light=1.5+nano

Here's another one (not as good...)
    http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/show...highlight=vase

Shot Glass Nano
    http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/show...ht=shotquarium

Here is a nice little 1G Nano reef, my favorite of all of these...
    http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/show...0&pagenumber=1
    http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/show...threadid=12109

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

The built in sump is key !
    Thats a nice 1 gal
    Mark
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor