Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

ph out of control

Hey guys,

i lost a flame scallop yesterday, so i thought id do some water tests seeing as i havent done any for quite a while (everything seemed to be doing fine) Everything tested well except for the ph which was off the scale (high).
    i couldn't work out what was causing this ( i dont use any supplements at all) so i thought i'd test the water i do the changes with (culligans r/o d/i) this is also off the scale. i was under the impression that this water should be ph 7 or there abouts.
    Can anyone substantiate this? Is r/o d/i water supposed to be neutral ph?
    should i stop using this water for changes, if so what would you advise to use? i plan to get a r/o filter but i cannot afford it at the moment. i have just bought a substance called ph down which i have dosed today.
    i do 5gall water changes every ten days with the culligan water should i stop?

Any advice/comments will be gratefully received as always.

Thanx guys

First off i would get another test kit to make sure or bring it to your lfs before making any ajustment.My r/o water from my r/o filter is 8.Make sur also that the tempature of the water that your are testing is the same.

What test kits are you using?I would seriously compare your test kits before making any adjustments
    Derik...

Pure water should have a neutral PH, but I have seen on many DI unit that you can't test the PH of it because the buffering capacity of it is so low that the PH of the PH liquid will modify your reading. If you use a PH-Probe, I just don't know

I dont think that r/o water is pure h2o......apparently r/o doesnt always lower ph...check this out

http://www.freedrinkingwater.com/wat...ion2/ro-ph.htm
    Derik...

If I am not mistaken Flame scallops rarely survive in captivity. Are you using PH kits that are designed to for the range your testing for. Their available in 2 formats PH "low" and PH "high" use the wrong test for the wring range and it will me off the scale one way or the other. Also make sure the tests are fresh.
    Rob

OH .... Don't use PH correction products until you have confirmed that there is an issue and corrected it. If your tests were wrong you will crash your tank.
    Rob

hmmmm just read the thread, so i assume if the source water has a high ph level (because of the gasses contained) then the r/o process will not reduce it significantly.
    If this is the case i would be interested to hear what other reefers use and the ph values of their tanks/water sources.
    What would be the major problems with a high ph in a reef tank?
    i am using a Hagen test kit and i agree they are unreliable mostly because of human error. The lfs's use the same kit (that's the reason i purchased one.... inexperience on my behalf)
    thanks for the input guys
    We need more Indians!

sorry just missed the your replies rob, i dosed once this evening, it is supposed to reduce the ph by 0.2 max per dose. Thanx I'll stop using it. i have had the flame scallop around 7 mnths and it was permanently open i went out monday morn it was closed 7hrs later a hermit was eating the last bit.
    We need more Indians!

steve666 take a sample of your water to the LFS and ask them to test it. What gases do you think are in the water?
    Rob

i didn't untill i read the thread above, volitan posted
    We need more Indians!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast