Thread: Cucumber crab!

Cucumber crab!

I just found the coollest thing living on my foot long black knobby cucumber. It is a tiny crab, about 1 cm., totally camouflaged and living on the cucumbers belly. It is black with white spots so that it looks just like the sand that sticks to the cucumber. I've had this cuke for months, and have never seen this guy before, but it is too well camouflaged to be anything but a "cucumber" Crab. It must have been there all the time. I only noticed it because the cuke was crawling up the front glass. It just looked very suspicious so I poked it and sure enough- a crab! ANd it didn't leave the cuke when I disturbed it.

So does anyone have info on these guys? I don't think it is predatory- likely just a commensal crab. I'll try to get a pic, but it REALLY looks like sand stuck on the cuke.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    Wow..
    That's cool.
    I've heard of fish living inside cuke's before, but a crab is a first for me...
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

Tha's wild. Cucumbers are a real moving habitat
    Susan

hmm, now i might have to look into getting a cucumber, any special equipment need for these amazing creatures?
    Adam

sounds pretty cool! id like to see that
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

This is just the neatset thing I have found in a long time. The lights are out now and the cuke is still in the front along the glass so I checked with my flashlight and the little crab is actually right in the cukes mouth between its feeding tentacles. It seems to be sand sifting right along with its host. Amazing! I know it has been there all along- but it just looks like more feeding tentacles with white sand specks. It must spend most of its time there where you can't see it at all ( unless you know it is there and look really hard!)

Aragorn- all you need is enough dirty sand to feed them. But acclimate them very slowly- they are echinoderms like starfish and sea urchins.
    Gail in Nova Scotia

Gail,
    Cucumbers can have many types of commensal hosts for some reason..., don't know why. You hear alot about other things living in their mouth, attached externally and even in their butts!!!

Well, they may not be the prettiest things we keep in our tanks, but they sure are interesting!
    Gail in Nova Scotia