electrica subject

Hi everyone,
    I have an electrical question regarding the fact that I'm leaving for europe and I would like to take my tank with me. I know that the voltage is different, so would it be possible for an electrician to change the plugs from the electrical box or must I use a transformer?
    It's just that I have too much equipment to part with and I'm thinking that the transformer would be very expensive.

Isn't Europe 220V? I think you'll cook your kit if you don't use a transformer.

I'd think about selling off your kit here & buying new gear in Europe.

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

you will need a very big transfomer.to reduce the voltage.froom 220 to 110.the frieght cost to ship your stuff to euorope is greater than the value of the actual cost.sell your stuff here and buy new equip there.

Some equipment (e.g. most computers) contains switching power supplies which can work with both 110 and 220V power. That should work in Euoper just by getting an adapter to change the type of plug. However, most marine equipment will not have that capability and won't work properly unless you get a transformer unit to adjust the voltage and current. Some equipment can also be sensitive to the different frequencies used in Europe (50 cycle vs 60 cycle).

I agree with Krugar that the best approach is likely going to be to replace the electrical stuff with parts desgined to work with Europeran popwer standards (e.g get a new ballast to connect to lights). You might consider whether the financial cost of doing that would be more expensive than buying a power supply/transformer to convert the power to North American standards. Sounds like an opinion of an electrician would be useful here.

Hope you have a fun time in Europe when you get there.
    Nick

from what I see a 29 gallon tank your better of selling your electrical equipment and buying directly from there you could always buy a xformer about 2000 va output... but if you go buy new equipment later it would be 220 volts you would have a system running on two different voltages keep it simple stick to one supply voltage and what happens when your old eqiupment breaks down hard to find 110 volt suppliers in europe. ..just my 2 cents or in your europe 4 cents

I guess my only option would be to try and pick up a transformer, because putting together a 125 galon tank gets quite expensive. Don't really want to change all the equipment, since it's almost all brand new. I guess I'll go for the transformer. Just wasn't planning on moving this fast. Thanks!
    --You're all more than welcome to come and visit once I'm settled.

Have you looked into the cost of shipping your 125G tank to Europe? That alone might change your mind, unless you have somebody else paying for it

Cheers!
    There is nothing so permanent as a temporary measure.

the thig is that i'm moving there so will have to get a container to put all my belonging in there anyway so it wont cost that much more.

most major appliances and things like computers have a switch for which voltage is to be excepted. anything without that switch is likely best replaced once you get there.
    Rob

If a company is moving you then you wont have to pay for the move it's self. I lived in England for 6 years and I know the container can take months to get to your new place. Certain things, like OSD said, have a switch to go from 110 to 220, but, for the most part you have to get new things, and in this case aquarium stuff. One thing you will be happy about is toasters toast bread in about half the time due to double the voltage . Just _really_ make sure you have their equilivent of a GFCI on your stuff because 220 can cause more problems than 110.
    -Dazz