Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fast moving RTN

fast moving RTN

Large coral infected with RTN ,this particular type starts from the top and works its way down very quickly. Fraged up the coral saved the pieces that were not affected.Got up this morning and all the pieces we thought we saved have it know , fraging seemed to speed up the process.This is awful nothing left of a large show piece , except two acro crabs . My question is can the crabs carry this disease , if not can we take them and put them on our acros in our tank. I don't want the crabs to die too.:bawling: :bawling:

as far as I know it is just for acros.

The general consensus with RTN is that its a corals reaction to a change in the enviroment, most people that i have talked to said its not a disease but a natural coral reaction
    Mark
    50 Gal SPS/LPS Mixed Reef
    25 Gal Fuge
    Neptune Aquacontroller
    Pro Cal Calcium Reactor
    Acrylic City Kalk Reactor
    Euroreef CS6-3 Skimmer
    2x175W MH 1x250W MH 2x65W Actinics

RTN :

Some info...

"Shut-Down-Reaction (SDR) - often referred to as Rapid Wasting (RW), Rapid- or Stress- Related Tissue Necrosis (RTN/SrTN), White Plague (WP), or White Death (WD) - (fig.9). Observations in laboratory experiment and field observations of corals under sublethal (abiotic) stress such as elevated temperature, sedimentation, chemical pollution, have revealed that specimens can die from a simple scratch. Such sudden disintegration of the coral tissue, that starts at the margins of the injury, is characterized by sloughing off the tissue in thick strands of blobs from the coenosarc, leaving behind a completely denuded coral skeleton. From the initial interface, the phenomenon proceeds in an enlarging circle on massive corals, or moves along the branches in ramose forms, spreading to all side-branches upon reaching a junction. It is still unclear if SDR represents a disease on its own, as the thriggers match those in WBD or WS (see below), although there seem to be significant differences regarding the speed this disease effects a colony. Thus, SDR is especially dangerous as it can spread with an average speed of 10cm/hour - fast enough to be visually observed! Being contagious, SDR can be transmitted by a floating strand of dissolved, contaminated tissue to produce an onset on a neighboring stressed colony. Thus, triggering a catastrophic chain reaction, which may occur several times during the course of a season. It usually affects species of the Caribbean, such as small star corals Dichocoenia stokesii, pillar corals Dendrogyra cylindrus, and boulder corals Montastrea annularis (fig. 10)."

from this site..

http://www.sbg.ac.at/ipk/avstudio/pi...a/disease2.htm

Michael

Good Info there Toooloud.:yay:
    HTH

ReefSalt

Before you buy anything......Read and Research .

Setup:
    265 gl SPS Reef. AquaScape Marco Rock 150lbs ( Upgrading to a 300gl Deep Dimension)
    Ecotech Radion Pro x 4 & Ecotech ReefLink
    Decante 75g
    Pompe de Remonte PCX55
    Reef Octopus SRO-5000SSS
    Reacteur Sulphur H&S Pour Nitrate
    2x Phosban 550

Frag Tank:
    Perfect0 45 cube sur le system central
    Totoka LR 50lb
    Radion Gen2
    Vortech MP10W

I don't think I've ever seen an acro crab transfer the disease. Robust and healthy colonies are usually pretty (but not completely) resistant.
    Matt.

Old system torn down to make a playroom.. planning a 62x42x28 high

I have also read recently that RTN is the result of stressed corals ejecting their algae and therefor turning white and looking dead. The same article said that when the source of stress is corrected the coral should recover.
    Rob

Rob,
    That is called "Bleaching"..., not RTN. As mentioned in the quote Toooloud pasted, RTN can be identified by seeing actual skin peeling off. Even though it might not be an actual disease, it can very well spread to other corals.
    What you mentioned about the coral "looking" dead is why I have often told people who find it hard to tell if the coral is indeed dead, to leave it in the tank for a little while. If it is indeed dead and a skeleton, it won't be long before that brown algae starts to cover it. When you see tis, you know it's dead and it can be removed. If however, it is staying white, or any other pale color, then leave it be because it is then probably only stressed out and might make a comeback.

I agree with Rob...I saw a video about it...They say the light and the water heat may cause this problem.

(from DVD Coral Reef or The Great Barrrier Reef)...

LadyP,
    You were probably posting the same time as I was..., As I mentioned, that is called "Bleaching"..., not RTN.
    Many people have come to use the term RTN for a whole slew of things. RTN is only when you see a whole coral actually lose it's skin, as if it's sloughing off a mucous tunic, and become a completely stripped skeleton.
    Trust me..., once you have experienced it, you'll know what you're looking at when it's happening.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast