Question Master Test Kit, is it any good

Hi check this out

http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/...01078600010101

I can by this for 75$ at a local pet store, is it worth it. I mean is it a good quality for test kits. It's from hagen.

If its not good quality test kit might as well buy some individualy from other manufaturers.
    25g Reef

MASTER

NA, go with SEACHEM or SALIFERT.

Yeah but it is more expensive :bawling: but I will see what I can do
    25g Reef

Thumbs up

Hagen seems to be a freshwater company and I am not very fond of their products either, IMHO.

I'd get Salifert test kits.

If you find those expensive, you don't have to buy everything at once, and certainly don't need to stock up on a lot of them. I stocked up on the pH and nitrate test kits but found that I don't use them that much now. In fact I haven't tested my pH in six months.

The only tests that I do regularly are alkalinity and calcium. Occasionally I do phosphate and nitrate tests, and also magnesium. My ammonia and nitrite test kits are collecting dust. I tested for it during the initial cycling period, and didn't need to test it again [hopefully]. I found that as long as I keep up with the buffer/alkalinity, testing pH and trying to "correct" it is fruitless. A stable pH is more important than a "perfect" pH (8.2-8.3), unless the pH is way out of whack.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

i already have e few test from hagen what I will do is next time buy sallifert or sechem

Thanks for all the advice guys

I already have ph(hagen), amonia (aquarium lab or something like that), nitrate(hagen), nitrite (dont remember the name of the manufacturer), and now I see my test aren't very acurate, and the step on the color chart are quite big so I supose they could be mor acurate hehe.
    25g Reef

Forgot to add. For pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, it is ok to be a bit less precise since you don't need to know the EXACT value of the test. Just a ball park figure is acceptable. So your Hagen test kit might be adequate, I don't know, never used them before.

But for alkalinity and calcium, it pays to have a more accurate and precise test kit. Those that use colour changing dyes and matching colour charts are not very good IMHO. You need those that use a titration method, i.e. by mixing reacting agents in a known amount of test sample and once you have added enough reagent, the colour will change dramatically to a different one. From the amount of reagent you dispensed, you read off a chart to find the value. You need to practise a few times to get yourself acquainted with it, but once you get the hang of it you know your test values are reliable. My Seachem calcium test kit even comes with a 400ppm "practice solution" so you know you are using the test kit correctly.
    If the authors of "Finding Nemo" knew anything about Clownfishes, Marlin would turn into a female and Nemo would become her new husband.

Agreed, you can use the Hagen Nitrate/Nitrite tests because all you are looking for is a 0 reading.
    Go for the Seachem Alk. and Calcium. They aren't too expensive if you look at them as $ / test. I think they work out cheaper than the Hagen.
    I got mine from Marinescapes, I think the Calcium was around $30. Alk was around $20. Not too sure though.
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer