Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casualty!

Casualty!

I noticed one of my 2 orange clowns was missing 2 days ago. The 2 were always buddies and now there's just 1. Question is were did he go? Don't see him anywhere around the tank so not a jumper, my overflow is covered so can't be in there, and no dead body floating (do dead SW fish float?) Also noticed a lot of "gunk" like an oil slick floating on top of the water, but it doesn't seem to have a negative impact and water stats are perfect. The only other option I can think of is my that my pink tip anemone ate it. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks...Phil

Sorry to hear about that Phil ... Small fish do not last long in the tank once they pass away. It has likely been almost completely "absorbed" by your tank if it is in fact dead. That slick your talking about on the surface of your water. If you have an overflow the general current must be going the wrong way. That slick should be going over the overflow. Its presence will interfere with gas exchange at the surface.
    Rob

thanks Rob, that's the weird part, the "slick" seemed to be just sitting there even though there is good water current. I used a net today and skimmed off the layer and it seems to be better. BTW - the protein skimmer is working well per usual. All other fish and corals are happy...

Do you have some wave action on the surface that moves the surface water to the overflow? If not adjust as needed to keep that slick going over the overflow.
    Rob

Cool

your tank is not drill for a sump is it? also, the skimmer, is it a hangon that doesn't skim the surface water but rather tamk water? I'm still not setup for a sump yet or skimmer and I get that slick big time especially from frozen foods.

I have found the easiest way to get rid of the slick when you don't have overflows is to have water flowing into the tank from an inch or so above. My skimmer output is above the water surface and I think the actoin of the water dumping in mixes the surface slick into the tank and the skimmer can then remove it. Of course you will hear water splashing, which tends to be slightly scarey at first because you think it must be running all over the floor!
    When I attach a sponge or bubble trap to the output, I will get a slick. I don't get micro bubbles though- unless I have just fed some type of oily food,so generally I just let the water splash into the tank. The gorgonian loves it!
    Gail in Nova Scotia

the tank is drilled and there is an overflow. It goes to a 10 gal sump which also has the HO skimmer. The tank has been running for just over a year and this is the first time I've seen this. Seems to be clearing up as of this morning.

Do you have power heads, if so check the intake mine sucked in 1 clown, 1 chromis and 1 really nice bubletip anemone even after i modified it.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

learned that lesson the hard way too some time ago - now have both with plastic safeguarding sleeves. I'm getting more and more convinced the anemone ate the poor little bugger.

In Tanks with no overflow I used to remove the surface coating by submersing a container in the tank with one edge just under the surface about 1/32 of an inch. The top water will flow into this container and you can do it few times when you do a water change.
    I think a full fish would be a rather LARGE meal for an anemone (depending on the size of both) but anything is possible. Any this I have sen them eat something that big they usually puke it up 1/2 digested a few days later.
    Rob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast