JM

acrylic versus glass

Any views on the advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?

It would be for a 225 g - 72x24x30

I like acrylic seems to be clearer, about half the weight of a glass tanks, 26 times stronger then glass and it can be drill by you with out the fear of break it. Not saying it can't be broken but alot easier to work with.

Down falls price, scratchs, and the top has holes cut into it which many limit the size of rock you put in.

I like my acrylic.
    Jason

JM
    Hey Jason....just surfing around trying to compare prices. Given the size above, if a glass tank is say $1,000 then what would an acrylic one be - I'm looking at a clarity plus one.

If you go acrylic you need to clean the inside front pane and any others you want clear often. You can not let heavy algae form on those surfaces or in time cleaning off that algae will put fine scratches in the panes.
    rob

JM
    I've heard that too....it's the scratching that really has me the most worried.

well the scratches that happen from regular cleaning are very fine but over a long time can affect the view.
    Rob

I have a 10 gallon nano that I made from acrylic. It has been up and running for almost 2 years, and there is not to many scratches(Only a few that you have to look really close to see). I really like the fact that it's super clear. To be honest with you I have a bigger scratch in my 220 gallon glass tank that I just got a couple months ago.

The only down fall I think is that you do have to clean it more often, as you don't want coraline algea to build up on the acrylic because it will scratch it. Also you have to be alot more carefull when you do clean the acrylic.(you can't use a razor blade!!!!) I use a soft bristle tooth brush to clean the acrylic on my 10 gallon and it has never left a scratch. I'm not sure what you would use to clean a large tank, because I don't think it would be too much fun cleaning it with a tooth brush.

Colby
    "DREAM LIKE YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE LIKE YOU'LL DIE TOMMOROW"

JM I think a tank the size your looking would run about $1200 US. But that comes with 2 buit in overflows and holes already drilled and bulkhead fittings. I use an acrylic magnet to clean my tank and an acrylic brush to clean the rounded corners. I clean mine every 2-3 days.

Jason
    Jason

My new 300g is an acrylic from www.tenecor.com I really like it so far. The neat corners and edges are nicer than glass. It holds an even temperature better than glass as well. The clarity is just amazing. I bought a good magnet for it, a Tiger Shark by Rare Earth. I've been just using the magnet each day and so far that's all it takes. Nothing gets a chance to build up, it's great.

And it is easy to drill. I had to have a couple holes put in last week and got a friend to do it but tonight I discovered I needed one more and decided to try it myself. Piece of cake.
    Susan

JM
    Thanks everyone....I'm going ahead. Not sure I'm going to be able to do the daily magnet cleaning so I really hope I can manage it.

Will look into the Tiger Shark.....thanks.

Joe