Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anemone sucked into powerhead

Well I bought my wife a beautiful nean green BTA last week (small one) to go along with her maroon clown and last night the BTA seemed to, all of a suddon, not like where he was sitting and went for a bit of a walk... I woke up this morning to my wife telling me to get up as the anemone was inside the powerhead (maxijet 400 with a strainer on it). I though well maybe he wanted to get higher in the tank (lighting not an issue) but to my surprise he was literally INSIDE the powerhead...

Needless to say I had to take the whole powerhead appart to get him out (dead of course).. Tank is a bit cloudy as it must have happened a while before I got to him so I'm in the process of mixing some saltwater and doing a 15% water change just to be on the safe side.

My question is are their any anemones that do not walk as often as apparenly the BTA's doo that her clown would host to??

This is soo strange as it's only a maxijet 400 and the fact that his neon color was sooo rare makes it even worse.

Any help would be great.

When mine went through it's powerhead, I had to to a series of water changes (it was severly shredded). Make sure to find as many pieces of it as possible (I know, it just sounds gross).

BTA's are known for their wandering abilities, but are also the best for maroons. Maybe someone else can provide better info.

Sorry,
    Sara

BUMMER ... Sorry to hear about that. Sometimes they will just release completely and float around the tank and this is when they are the most apt to be sucked into any water devices input opening. as for how they get in to the power head.. Well ... they get sucked in the same way you could suck in a bunch of jello through a straw.
    Rob

same thing happened to my bta last week and it was huge. Although, i did not remove the shreded pieces in my tank. my critters took care of it. I am planning on removing all my power heads.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

I removed pretty much every piece of it with a turckey baser.. Time consuming but I figured it should be done just in case.. When I turned the attinics on it all glowed so at least it was easy to spot...

Any ideas if the maroon would host in a pearl bubble coral or maybe a frog spawn??? Any ideas on other posibilities.... Never had this problem in my tank but I have a carpet in mine and they dont seem to walk around as much but that would be too big for her tank.

i have seen marrons hosting in bubble corals and frog spawn.

The pair I just got seem to switch hosts between my frogspawn and my rbta.Sorry to hear about the bta .

thanks everyone! I think I will go out and buy her a frogspawn and a bubble coral to cheer her up She currently has no corals right now so this will start her off just nicely

mine got sucked up thru the intake of my closed loop. i had to cut the strainer off of him, but 3 months later it was all healed and split into 2

I wish I were as lucky I've heard of other people and their BTA's coming back and survivingbut mine was literally shredded.
    I think I will go with both a frogspawn and a bubble coral in my wifes tank either way if the maroon clown hosts to it great if not still beautiful corals and can't go wrong there

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast