Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: platax pinnatus

platax pinnatus

I know that they have a very dismal record of survival in captivity...due to the fact that most refuse to eat.
    I've always been captivated by this fish and the moorish idol. Since I had sucess with the idol, I've decided to give the batfish a try. One came into the LFS a few weeks ago (a young one) started eating mysis almost immediately and is a perfect specimen. I brought him home on Friday. He has continued to eat 3 times daily and is very placid and bold...as well as gorgeous. Although his beauty will only last a year or two, I think he will be a great addition.
    I've decided to move my aggressive fish out of the deep 160 into the bowfront and then in time move my parrotfish ,batfish and another idol into that tank.
    I'll post a pic soon
    cheers
    Lynn
    Lynn

I do not know why bat fish don't do well in our tanks. I think they must be coming in in poor shape. They are considered as easy to keep by the book i have , perhaps they need lower salinity because they would normally be found in mangrove swamps and brackish lagoons along the Indo-Pacific coastline. I hope this one will do well for you. They are a very nice addition to any tank that contains friendly community fish.
    Rob

Which book are you looking at?
    The orbiculate batfish is the supposedly easier one to keep. Mine is the pinnate batfish.
    Lynn

Yes I am very familiar with the pinnate bat fish (check my avatar) This is an old book by Frank de Graaf and he describes all batfish as being easy to keep "if" they arrive in good condition. He describes them as easy to start on food and states that they will readily except many type of fresh and frozen food. I have kept one only once but did not want to dedicate an entire tank to one fish. I think you will find that if the fish arrives in good shape and is alone in a tank it will do OK. They do not do well if there is completion for food. They are too slow and graceful. A truly beautiful fish.
    Rob

Congratulations Lynn, I'm really looking forward to some pics!

How long have you had your idol? I just got one a few days ago, a very young one with the "baby face" look. She's doing well so far.
    Susan

I had mine for eighteen months. Just lost her to my ritteri anemone.
    Didn't you get one awhile ago? or maybe I'm thinking of someone else? What is yours eating so far?
    Lynn
    Lynn

You are thinking of someone else. It has been a long time since i have had one. they are very nice.
    Rob

A long, long time ago, in my young and crazy days, I purchased a very small orbiculate batfish. It was so small, when my wife first saw it, she asked why there was a leaf floating around in the tank. I told her to look closely. It was a very young orbiculate. I had a variety of damsels and clownfish in a 75 gallon tank. The batfish grew so large it eventually outgrew the tank and I had to bring it into a local store. He was a very mild mannered fish for the giant he was becoming. Feeding him was not a problem as he was quite a pig. I beleive I still have pictures at home. I will look for them and post one this evening.

My only attempt at a Pinnatus batfish was not so successful. I had him for about three weeks and he would not eat. I brought him back to the LFS and they gave me a full store credit (this store is no longer in business). They kept him another few weeks and he eventually starved.

If yours is eating Lynn, that is great news. I hope he does very well for you because they are indeed spectacular fish. It should also be noted that when I kept these batfish, we didn't have near the systems, knowledge and resources we now have. You definitely have advantages going for you now I did not have back then. Good luck to you and the Batfish. Pics please.

picture!

okay, here's a picture of "larouge"
    Lynn

OH MY .. WOW ... What a beauty .. Just wonderful. I hope you have success with this fellow Lynn. He looks to be in GREAT shape!!
    Rob

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast