Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaner Wrasse

Unhappy Cleaner Wrasse

well, I have to say I made a bad judgement call on buying these. All my research in the past has told me not to but impulse and the thought of maybe keeping 1 or 2 in my large tank might keep the larger fish clean.Of course I lost them fairly quick even though they were eating prepared foods. Upon further research I learned as well that they have VERY specific diets of a certain ISOPOD and they won't even help with ich. There best left in the ocean IMO and the cleaner gobies are the better choice.

mine eats like a pig, it loves mysis. you should see that thing eat. It also eats ich off my tangs. Although my powder blue seems to be going down the drain.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Cool

How long have you had it? from all the research its diet is not being met. I wonder if anyone has kept these long term?

2 weeks. it eats mysis, formula 1 and 2 and cyclop eeze
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Johnny is right. It's diet isn't being met and even tho it seems to be eating well, it will slowly waste away. They actually rely on the slime coat of the fish they clean as a part of thier diet.

I agree 100%...they're better left in the ocean. Cleaner Gobies are just as cool, live long lives, and are more benificial.
    James...

"Knowing is half the battle!" ~ G.I. JOE

I've read that as well, but I have had one for 7 months now and it definitely cleans the fish. They even open their mouths for him??
    I bought another for the reef tank in August and it's also still doing well??
    I think the key is a well estrablished tank of at least a year or better two old, and lots of medium to large fish for him to pick off of.
    Lynn

I had one for a year but it finally died two weeks ago. I added it a month and a half after start up, and its always eaten everything I put in the tank. He did a great job of cleaning my clarki. He suddenly disappaered maybe old age he was 3"

Well, I have seven of these fish and they eat the same as the rest of the fish I have.
    I recently lost the one in my main tank that was in there about seven years now.
    It's replacement wouldn't eat so I ground up beef heart so that it was about as fine as the parasites that they prefer and he goes for that now.
    For some reason, some hobbyists have trouble keeping them so I have people that buy them from me after I've kept them for at least 3 months, and have them eating beef heart, brine shrimp, mysis, and spirulina flake food.
    The one I just lost was over five inches in length when it dissappeared. I couldn't sell that one any time, even though many wanted it, being in my reef tank I was unable to catch him so he was my oldest one.
    One thing you have to watch for if you don't have covered tanks and that is the fact they jump out occasionally when being chased after nipping the fish they were cleaning at the time.
    I've had to put egg crate over my tanks that aren't covered.
    I lost two this way until I smartened up finallly..
    The next oldest is around 4 years old.

I just bought one on Friday for my 300g FOWLR. He's eating very well and cleaning the larger fish but not the small ones. I guess time will tell.
    Susan

i am presently in California and i spoke to the guy at the lfs about this.
    They have a 800g cube tank with a cleaner wrasse and it's been in there for 7 years aswell as all their fish in their display tank. Their fish are HUGE, i have never seen such big fish. Anyhow, according to him they dont have problems with them in captivity and they dont generally die on them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast