Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CopperBand

CopperBand

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking for some feedback. As some of you may recall I've had issues with Aiptasia in my tank. My efforts with kalk paste have been the most successful at controlling it but I'm growing tired of this ritual. Total eradication has been fruitless. Peppermint shrimp were tried but gobbled up by my sallylightfoot, and given the choice, the sallylightfoot stays ... nudibranch would be next but the specific species required is just too difficult to find, so I'm left with the possibility of adding a copperband. I've read as much as I can and am aware of the challenges of keeping this fish.

My concern is that I have had difficulty determining if he'd be a good fit in my tank. I have a 65 gallon tall (36X18X24), 55lbs LR, MH lighting, skimmer in sump, closed loop via mag5, etc. and parameters are excellent (today anyway ) The tank companion that I'm worried about is my sailfin tang. The sailfin is now 4" and the copperband would most likely be in the 3" to 4" range. When I first got the sailfin he was a little 1" squirt and I've already been considering giving him to a larger tank owner..... will they get along? Is this too small a setup for these two?

Other tank mates ... the sallylightfoot (of course) green emerald crab, cleaner shrimp, small hippo tang (1.5"), scooter blenny, 3 chromis, 12 bluelegged 4 leftlegged hermits, 10 nassaius snails, 12 turbo snails.

Thanks for your help.

Think I found my own answer from Bob Fenner ...."[Sailfins] are extremely aggressive and territorial at times and even when not, their size and activity is quite intimidating to other passive fishes that simply get outcompeted for food. No compromise here."

I never had any intentions of keeping the sailfin to adulthood in my small[ish] setup and he has grown much quicker than I expected .... anyone in the Kingston area interested in a beautiful, healthy sailfin tang who has a large setup? Let's talk ....

which sailfin? the PURPLE TANG or the DEJARDINI TANG. theres lots of common names. the purple is VERY aggresive but the DESJARDINI is fairly mellow.

Zebrasoma veliferum

Here he is as a juvenile

Here he is today

He is really nice SloHand! Enjoy!

AK
    20G Reef Tank (Starting again...)

aww, he looks so cute, he wouldnt hurt anyone.
    Albert
    My Photos

He is awesome isn't he (or she?) but man he has grown so quickly! I thought that I'd have a few years or more of enjoyment but I'm begining to get the 'Stockholm Syndrome' and want him to have the largest swiming area possible. I first had him in a 29 gallon, now the 65 and that's starting to look small Maybe I should just get a bigger aquarium! :lol:

Well I've made the move! I picked up a Copperband Butterfly. Before I could get him into my tank I had to move the Sailfin :bawling: but he does have a great home ( Thanks Industrial Outlaw!)

I brought him home two days ago and no sooner had I acclimated him to the tank he immediately went after any tube worms (feather dusters) he could find and that's ALL he's been eating. He hasn't touched any of the food I've put in the tank and worst of all he hasn't touched any Aiptsia He does look very well though, active, constantly foraging (for tube worms) and is quite oblivious of his other tank mates. I've even seen him 'park' infront of my cleaner shrimp for a thorough cleaning :

I am very concerned about all the stories that I read though ... If he doesn't get the taste for something other than those tube worms, he's going to end up wiping them out and then what? From others on the board who have (do) kept this fish, is this similar behavior that you have witnessed? Any suggestions on what to do to get him to eat something else? I've put mysis, "Mega Marine Mix, various flakes, brine and he just swimes right on by .... Here is a pic .....

Hey ...not a problem..... just glad I could help out... and the new addition to the tank is great.... doing fine and all is well.
    Thanx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast