Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSB debate

DSB debate

So I have been reading Reefland alot and one of the very successful members Mtndewman just had a complete crash of his system. He has removed his whole sand bed and started from scratch with only 1 inch of coarse aragonite.
    He was one of the guys that I asked tons of questions when I first started this hobby.
    Check out the latest thread he has posted:

http://www.reefland.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10455

and his web site of what the tank used to look like:

http://www.fitermania.com/75gallonreef/

kind of scares you a bit doesn't it....
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

rj
    Banned
    not me.....only an inch or so of arganite here...

I'm of the notion of if it ain't broke....

Any of us that have been in the hobby for awhile...have seen the "answer" to it all....algal scrubbers...plenums...etc.

The verdict is still out on DSB's...Miracle Mud and the rest of the new "answers"....but see someone's tank crash....regardless of reason is real poopy!

I'm about half way. Mine is about 3 inches, 4 in the deeper areas, 2 in the shallow spots, but I'm using the coarser aragonite, not the fine sugar sized grains.

I also keep stuff that digs down deep into the bed, like the pistol shrimp and olive snails which keeps it well stirred up, not to mention the cucumbers, and nassarius snails which work the upper inch.

I've always seemed to have lots of pods etc., the only time I didn't was when I put the six-line wrasse in. He lasted about 6 months (until the blackout) and during his stay, I noticed a decline in the pod and worm population. I'm pretty sure it was the wrasse, since the population seems to have grown since he died.

It's interesting to read that thread though, and if you look at his pictures close, he has a pretty deep bed, and very fine sand.

what other fish do you think would deplenish the DSB.

Would a copperband or manderines ?

Copperband ONLY picks at the rockwork and from the water column. Mandarines WILL definitely eat your pods. Basically that's ALL they eat. Without the little buggies, a Mandarin will perish.
    I know Mtndewman myself ( from Reefcentral) and I'm in the planning of an upgrade to a bigger tank. I too will be going this route of shallow sandbed. Something worth mentioning though, is I along with the others going back to shallow beds, all have a remote DSB somewhere in the sumps. and this way if it ever crashes, it can be shut offline and replaced easily without disturbing the main tank. It seems that lots of very well setup tanks STILL suffer from "Old tank syndrome" and this is why this new way has been popping up moreso. When the DSB craze started, it had to run it's course of a few years to be time tested and now we are starting to see some results. The bottomline fact is that no matter how much microlife and sandbed critters we throw in our tanks, it will NEVER match what's in the ocean in a given space of sand, and this lack of amount of diversity is what is missing in our tanks. Have you read through the whole thread for the explanations. You can do a search on RC for other threads about this. There are some very long ones with lots of info that is rather interesting.

Do you think this is what happened to Tang Man in Montreal?
    ________
    Tanks: 400 gal Reef, 180 gal FOWLR, 300 gal Sump, 40 gal Frag Tray plumbed as one system - 900 gal total water volume.
    DIY Calcium Reactor, Nielson Reactor and Skimmer

Senior Member tang_man_montreal's Avatar
    I'll answer that.....

No.

The sandbed had been set up for only a year. However, the sand that was used was an "Aquarium safe" silicate based sand. When I removed that sandbed, it was devoid of anything. Not even a smelly aneorobic zone. Was it the choice of sand used? Dunno. Will never know at this point.

When I setup the tank again, I set it up with a Southdown sand 5" DSB.

Will I set up my future tanks with a DSB?..... Yes and No...
    The main tank will have a 1" sandbed for "looks", however I will setup a remote sandbed for the reasons Toutouche mentioned. Furthermore, I will actually setup 2 remote sandbeds, so that if I need to take one down, I will still have the other running to seed the new dsb. Obviously, room is needed to do this, but atleast I won't need to tear down the main tank to remove a DSB. Many options are available here...

However, like I said. At this point, I'll never know what happened to my tank.
    I am Homer of BORG... Prepare to be..OOOO!! DONUT!!!!!!

I like to run a bare bottom tank with a large refugium below. The refugium has a 5" DSB. This way I can massive waterflow in the main tank, and very easy to clean with a syphon during water changes. I have this on my main tank, and the others have anyting from 1" to 3". In other words I have several set ups here running with different methods. If you can get a large enough refugium (30 gallons) then throw your DSB in there. Just my 2 cents worth.

:heavymeta
    The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!

Mouse6196,

The only thing two reef keepers will agree on, is what the third reef keeper is doing wrong!
    So true..., so true!!!

TangguyMtl,
    Ahh, I forgot to mention the 2 remote DSB's. I'm going to do that too, it was a good idea.
    Just to mention this for others reading, as you already know the answer to this.
    As far as using silicate based sand, this is perfectly safe. What's important is the grain size. Some people even use the shot for sandblasting which are actually very tiny beads that can be bought in different Micron sizes, and it works fine.
    As for what caused it..., I'm still awaiting a reply from Scully and Mulder to beging investigating. Apparantly it's the aliens that have the knowledge to do what happened without leaving a trace.:robo:

just to throw another loop..

remote DSBs might not really work, unless a lot of detritus actually makes it to that remote DSB. Otherwise, there won't be a nuff food to sustain it, etc. etc. Mega high flow main tanks where nothing is able to settle might help.. but who knows.

you don't want to have to feed your DSB either, as it defeats the point of it helping remove nutrients.

That being said, I still have LARGE remote sand bed. *grin* I currently feed it though, because of the fish & corals in the sump. It's not a refugium because of the argus comet.
    Fishysan ><>
    ---
    180g display main floor, 150g trough, 75g, 20g in basement
    SPS, LPS, softies, many clams & 14 fish
    main: 250w AB DE HQI x 3, 5' x 3 VHO actinic - trough: 400w venki

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast